The Student Room Group

Why do so many people want to take Engineering?

Nearly everyone I know taking Physics A-Level is looking to do Engineering! Why does no-one want to take Physics, which seems more interesting? Is it just for the money? What do Engineering graduates usually end up doing exactly?

I'm just finding this all a bit depressing as to me it seems like people don't actually like Physics as a subject but are after a well-paying job, same with a lot (but not all of course) of people aiming for Medicine or Law. Not trying to offend any aspiring engineers of course, especially if you genuinely love it, just it seems like many people are perhaps not passionate about it but are doing it because it's considered a successful career.

Is it odd to like theory more than applied theory such as Engineering?
Original post by Kaedra
Nearly everyone I know taking Physics A-Level is looking to do Engineering! Why does no-one want to take Physics, which seems more interesting? Is it just for the money? What do Engineering graduates usually end up doing exactly?

I'm just finding this all a bit depressing as to me it seems like people don't actually like Physics as a subject but are after a well-paying job, same with a lot (but not all of course) of people aiming for Medicine or Law. Not trying to offend any aspiring engineers of course, especially if you genuinely love it, just it seems like many people are perhaps not passionate about it but are doing it because it's considered a successful career.

I want to do Physics :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by hellomynameisr
I want to do Physics :biggrin:

Nice to know I'm not alone :tongue:

My ideal would actually be NatSci as I like all the sciences, but Physics definitely has the most appeal to me! Although I have a feeling that if I go for it I'll end up doing maths for the rest of my life lol
Reply 3
It's not odd to like theory over applied theory at all lol. Some people prefer a more hands on approach whilst others don't, it's all up to personal preference.

Regards to engineering; a lot of the people I know that are doing engineering are Asian and in Asian families there's a common stereotype that doctors, lawyers and engineers correlates to a successful career.

There's also the assumption that engineering pays a high salary like medicine and law however it's subjective. Here in the UK engineering salaries are not that brilliant compared to medicine or corporate law however in countries like Germany, the salary for engineers is significantly higher.
I'm doing it for the money :u:

Spoiler

Original post by Kaedra
Nice to know I'm not alone :tongue:

My ideal would actually be NatSci as I like all the sciences, but Physics definitely has the most appeal to me! Although I have a feeling that if I go for it I'll end up doing maths for the rest of my life lol

Yeah Id' like to do NatSci as well lol. Also I enjoy maths so I guess thats a bonus :tongue:
Reply 6
Original post by Kaedra
Nearly everyone I know taking Physics A-Level is looking to do Engineering! Why does no-one want to take Physics, which seems more interesting? Is it just for the money? What do Engineering graduates usually end up doing exactly?I'm just finding this all a bit depressing as to me it seems like people don't actually like Physics as a subject but are after a well-paying job, same with a lot (but not all of course) of people aiming for Medicine or Law. Not trying to offend any aspiring engineers of course, especially if you genuinely love it, just it seems like many people are perhaps not passionate about it but are doing it because it's considered a successful career.Is it odd to like theory more than applied theory such as Engineering?

I'm taking physics A-Level and I'm not looking to do engineering.
Reply 7
Original post by Kaedra

i guess most of the people do it because they enjoy it and it is interesting.But it does depend as there are different types of engineering such as mechanical, bio-medical, civil, chemical,electrical

but there is a minority who only do it for the money as you do get paid quite a lot.eg The average median salary for a chartered engineer has risen to£63,000.
i do know how you feel as when i am asking my friends what job they want to do and they say doctor,vet,engineer etc just for the money and i know a few people who are doctors,nurse,engineers etc who hate their job and are only doing it for the money.
Original post by Kaedra

Its just another way of using the knowledge tbh. It's not like people do engineering juwt for the money - it is a very interesting career where you get to work in teams on large projects that have a real impact on our world. Its just another use of physics/ maths really - some people like using physics to explain quantum mechanics, others prefer applying it to building bridges etc. Also worth mentioning that a lot of people who do do physics (im hopefully doing phys nat sci next year) don't intend to stay in research - a lot of people will go in to other areas where mathematical skills are valuable such as working in the city

Quick Reply

Latest