The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Questions for the computer science students.

Can anybody give me some information on what jobs / companies Sussex computer science graduates are applying for when they come to the end of their degree?

Also, are there any aspects / modules of the course that you did not like?

I am currently holding an offer from the university and would like more information about the course from the students.
Original post by tubaman6
Can anybody give me some information on what jobs / companies Sussex computer science graduates are applying for when they come to the end of their degree?

Also, are there any aspects / modules of the course that you did not like?

I am currently holding an offer from the university and would like more information about the course from the students.

Computer Science and AI student here.

Almost done with second year. Pretty much all of the big companies are applied to. There are people working at IBM, Google, BMW, Thales etc etc. It depends more on what you can offer as opposed to the University.

I'll be honest and I'll gladly tell you that Sussex IS NOT the best place to go if you want to do Computer Science. Some of the lecturing has been very poor, making some of the modules much harder than they should be.

When you start the Software Engineering module you'll be assigned a random (a RANDOM) group. I can't begin to express have f***ing awful this is for some people. Some people end up in groups where no one knows how to program and, considering the main aim is to develop a program, this is not good. They'll claim that being in a random team is what it is like in reality. What a silly statement. Pretty sure in industry all of the programmers know how to program.

Some lecturers are very dull and unenthusiastic. You'll have to do useless modules such as Global Design Challenge and Professional Skills.

Saying that though, the AI modules are VERY good and well taught. There are other modules that are very well taught. However, too many are not taught well and this is very sh*t considering that you're paying £9000 a year.

Final Verdict: Honestly, Sussex is only 18th on Complete University Guide due to it's performance in other subjects. For Computer Science I would really consider that you look for some place where you know the teaching will be consistently good and you'll be prepared for the assignments they give you.

Hope this helped
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Reply 2
Thank you very much! This did help show me that the course is not right for me.

Thanks once again!

Quick Reply

Latest