Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

What Is It Like Studying GCSE French

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

I'm about to pick my options and I am planning to do ebacc and to do the ebaccs I need to do French at my school. I was wondering what French is like at GCSE, how hard exams are ect.

I'm going to be honest, a language at GCSE is hard unless you put the time and effort in to revise. I have already done GCSE French and am doing GCSE Spanish this year. Coursework makes up the majority of the grade, which is great and you should use this to your advantage. The exams can be quite hard unless you practice practice practice and learn the vocab. Learning a language can be helpful in the future and makes you stand out in front of potential employers. Good luck with picking your options and remember the best person to pick them is yourself

Posted from TSR Mobile

To be honest, GCSE french isn't much different from the stuff you would have learnt in KS3. I find it the easiest subject (being half french) and don't need to revise much for it. It's also nice to have a language as one of your GCSEs, something different from everything else

These days you'll learn 10% from your teacher and 90% on your own if your looking for top grades in a language.
    That might just be me and my terrible language teachers but i assume you can take that to context meaning a lot revision will be needed.

You must be in year 8/9 so you'll be taking the new harder GCSEs. The new GCSEs will be much less about memorising and much more about understanding and being able to think on the spot of the words in different tenses and in the correct order. There will also be less controlled assessment if I remember correctly.
    I personally found French very stressful because we were doing an intense 1 year course which left us a week to learn each controlled assessment which was difficult to say the least. That however was only my experience and I very much doubt you would have the same one!
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 28, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.