The Student Room Group

GCSEs

Scroll to see replies

Original post by _Xenon_
Hi when should I start past papers? Now? Is it a good idea to do past papers and then the topics I don't know to learn them properly and to then continue the past papers. :smile:

Precisely that every topic u dont get make note of it and do practice questions on it then in a few days re-do that same paper to see if youve improved
Reply 21
Original post by Waveyalex
Precisely that every topic u dont get make note of it and do practice questions on it then in a few days re-do that same paper to see if youve improved

OK thanks very much
Ur welcome and all the best for exams dw I feel the pressure too my first exams on Tuesday

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
lol i have less than 3 weeks till my first exam and not started revision:colondollar:
Original post by _Xenon_
If I start revising now am I really going to go from a C to an A in a month for triple science + maths?
ah, I did the same as you. But I was already at a high B. Realistically, unless you use TECHNIQUES to MEMORISE your subjects and just practice loads for maths, getting all them As is slightly unlikely. In maths possible because you only need like 60% or something for an A don't you? I did IGCSE edexcel, it IS hard though. Our paper was awful. 1 hour a day won't cut it, smh past papers themselves are longer than an hour. With maths, buy the Casio fx-991esplus because you can do differentiation on there, and you can also do quadratic equations on there. Or (even better) get a graphical calculator as you can do simultaneous equations on there. And then you can easily get that A in math. Sciences- I barely revised them. I hated them with passion and had 0 motivation. I literally rote learnt the whole damn thing, and did 1 unit per day, 3 days prior to the science exams, and threw my notes in the bin the minute the exams finished.

Why these subjects in particular. Do you want to take them on to A level?
Original post by _Xenon_
You mean cover the whole of triple science by Wednesday? (9 units?)
Actually I think maybe I should revise unit 1 only first because my unit 2 and 3 science exams are from 10th June. Then during May half term I can cover the rest of that content.

So before May half term I'll focus on my Maths and my unit 1 science. Is that a good plan?
(Unit 1 Chemistry, Physics and Biology by Wednesday) and then start past papers. For Maths should I use my last hour for learning topics I don't know then 2 weeks before my exam start doing loads of past papers. Is that a good idea?

Thanks so much for helping me with this. You've made me believe in myself and think it's possible. :smile:

Of course yes, only do the first units for each science. Apologies, I got confused thinking you were doing all the units at once. Your plan is a good one. Then starting from Wednesday exam papers only. With maths, try to do at least an hour a day. So one hour of physics, one of of biology, one of maths and one of chemistry. When you've begun past papers, start revising for other subjects too. Good luck and stay aware from this website :smile: (unless you're asking for help).
Original post by jaz,
lol i have less than 3 weeks till my first exam and not started revision:colondollar:

Wat is ur first exam ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
Original post by RueXO
ah, I did the same as you. But I was already at a high B. Realistically, unless you use TECHNIQUES to MEMORISE your subjects and just practice loads for maths, getting all them As is slightly unlikely. In maths possible because you only need like 60% or something for an A don't you? I did IGCSE edexcel, it IS hard though. Our paper was awful. 1 hour a day won't cut it, smh past papers themselves are longer than an hour. With maths, buy the Casio fx-991esplus because you can do differentiation on there, and you can also
do quadratic equations on there. Or (even better) get a graphical calculator as you can do simultaneous equations on there. And then you can easily get that A in math. Sciences- I barely revised them. I hated them with passion and had 0 motivation. I literally rote learnt the whole damn thing, and did 1 unit per day, 3 days prior to the science exams, and threw my notes in the bin the minute the exams finished.

Why these subjects in particular. Do you want to take them on to A level?

Hi yes they're my A-level subjects except Biology. Thanks very much for your advice and I'm also doing the Edexcel IGCSE. :redface:

I got a B in one paper and a C in the other so I think if I try very hard, maybe?

Thanks again
Reply 28
Original post by Wolfram Alpha
Of course yes, only do the first units for each science. Apologies, I got confused thinking you were doing all the units at once. Your plan is a good one. Then starting from Wednesday exam papers only. With maths, try to do at least an hour a day. So one hour of physics, one of of biology, one of maths and one of chemistry. When you've begun past papers, start revising for other subjects too. Good luck and stay aware from this website :smile: (unless you're asking for help).

Thank you I will do this today after school! :smile:
Original post by _Xenon_
Hi yes they're my A-level subjects except Biology. Thanks very much for your advice and I'm also doing the Edexcel IGCSE. :redface:

I got a B in one paper and a C in the other so I think if I try very hard, maybe?

Thanks again

If your thinking about maths at A level, you definitely need that A/A* at GCSE because otherwise it'll be incredibly challenging. I do maths for AS and I'm finding it fairly challenging even though I got a top band A at GCSE.
But the more you practice the better you will be, I think it's a good thing how both the papers are calculator ones because getting a good calculator can seriously help you in more ways than you can emagine.
As for the other subjects, I don't take them so I'm not sure but yeah I guess if you want to take them at A level you need to focus a lot of your time on them starting now
Reply 30
Original post by Waveyalex
Wat is ur first exam ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

French and biology on the 17th AQA
Original post by jaz,
French and biology on the 17th AQA

Mines on tuesday looool

Quick Reply

Latest