The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Warwick PPE offer holders and "firmers"

Hi guys!

Since there are loads of offers already given by Warwick for their PPE degree, I thought that it would be interesting to start a specific thread for those who want to firm it. You know, just to basically get to know each other a little... :smile:

So, personally, I'm firming Warwick (very probably) and have received my offer back in November. I'm currently studying in a CPGE in Lille, France (I consider this year as some kind of a preparation for the next one) and still do not know what my pathway for years 2-3 will be.

Anyone else thinking about Warwick as a first choice?
Reply 1
Me. Probably gonna put York as insurance. I'm not that sure about actually firming Warwick though, as they asked me for really high grades. Do you know anyone who missed their conditions and still got it?
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
will be firming warwick in the next couple of days, and yeh likely putting york as insurance as well. how are you all feeling for the A*AA offer?
Reply 3
Hey guys. Ive received an unconditional offer back in November because i finished my IB programme early, im all set for Warwick PPE :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by Adrono
Me. Probably gonna put York as insurance. I'm not that sure about actually firming Warwick though, as they asked me for really high grades. Do you know anyone who missed their conditions and still got it?

No, actually... In fact, I do not really know the "required grades" system as I already have passed my Baccalauréat (unconditionnal offer). But I read on other threads that Warwick was quite lenient about grades, as long as you globally do well. But that was for other courses, probably less competitive than PPE.
Reply 5
What are you guys putting as insurance? And what do you think about York?
Reply 6
Original post by Midaftann
No, actually... In fact, I do not really know the "required grades" system as I already have passed my Baccalauréat (unconditionnal offer). But I read on other threads that Warwick was quite lenient about grades, as long as you globally do well. But that was for other courses, probably less competitive than PPE.

I see. One girl here told me that she still got in with AAA. Thanks anyways.
Reply 7
Original post by Adrono
What are you guys putting as insurance? And what do you think about York?

Its a choice between Exeter and York, not sure about either of them but leaning towards York as its a well established PPE course. What about you?
Reply 8
Original post by whw
Its a choice between Exeter and York, not sure about either of them but leaning towards York as its a well established PPE course. What about you?

I'm still thinking whether to firm Warwick or not as they ask for very high grades. In case I do, York will be my insurance. Talking about York, what do you think of the university in general?
Reply 9
Original post by Adrono
I'm still thinking whether to firm Warwick or not as they ask for very high grades. In case I do, York will be my insurance. Talking about York, what do you think of the university in general?

I like it, don't think the main campus is very nice but accommodation on the new campus looks great and the PPE course seemed very good when i went. What is holding you back with it?
Reply 10
Edit: I made my decision and just firmed my offer today. See you in October guys!
Firmed Warwick a couple of days ago. See you guys in October, hopefully!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Adrono

Hey! I'm currently a Warwick Second Year PPE-ist (on the Economics (major) and Politics B.Sc. pathway), and I know people who received grades slightly below their offer (e.g. AAA or A*AB) and managed to get into the course.

As for everyone on this thread, I am happy to answer any questions you may have. I'm sure I can answer most questions having been a student here for almost two full years. Also, don't be misinformed by the fact that I do the Economics and Politics pathway. If you were thinking about Philosophy or the tripartite pathway, I am still here to help with such questions, as well as any questions regarding external issues to the course (e.g. accommodation, student life etc.). If you aren't comfortable posting questions to the thread, I am of course available via direct message.

All the best :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by PPEStudent2307
Hey! I'm currently a Warwick Second Year PPE-ist (on the Economics (major) and Politics B.Sc. pathway), and I know people who received grades slightly below their offer (e.g. AAA or A*AB) and managed to get into the course.

As for everyone on this thread, I am happy to answer any questions you may have. I'm sure I can answer most questions having been a student here for almost two full years. Also, don't be misinformed by the fact that I do the Economics and Politics pathway. If you were thinking about Philosophy or the tripartite pathway, I am still here to help with such questions, as well as any questions regarding external issues to the course (e.g. accommodation, student life etc.). If you aren't comfortable posting questions to the thread, I am of course available via direct message.

All the best :smile:

Hey man thanks a lot for the infos!
I'm guessing none of those missed grades were in maths though right?
By the way I was looking at Rootes and Tocil for accommodation, what would you suggest? And out of curiosity, I'm gonna turn 20 soon this year so do you know if they'll try to match me with others my age?
Original post by Adrono
Hey man thanks a lot for the infos!
I'm guessing none of those missed grades were in maths though right?
By the way I was looking at Rootes and Tocil for accommodation, what would you suggest? And out of curiosity, I'm gonna turn 20 soon this year so do you know if they'll try to match me with others my age?

Unfortunately you would be correct in thinking that. The grade distribution is unspecified, so you can get an A or A* in Mathematics for the PPE degree, but it is unlikely that a place will be offered given a B grade or below (but do not consider it as completely impossible; it depends on the grades of the cohort entering the degree in given year of entry).

Tocil was not for first-year undergraduates when I had on-campus accommodation, so I do not know the quality of the accommodation. Rootes is fairly standard accommodation; kitchens are on the smaller side, and of course you share a bathroom with multiple people, but it is therefore one of the most sociable halls of residence on campus. Tocil is in a good location, short walk to anywhere you want to go. You also have Arthur Vick and Jack Martin close by (with Bluebell not too far past that), so there is opportunity to mix with a variety of people.

I would personally recommend Arthur Vick or Jack Martin as location is second to none and the halls are fairly sociable but also fairly studious; a very good balance is maintained. Of course, when I talk about sociability, it is purely dependent on the people allocated to your kitchen and block when you enter University; I am somewhat stereotyping when talking about sociability, because it is independent from one year to the next due to the variation in cohorts.

You are rarely matched on age, but rather preferences on working conditions and interests mentioned when you submit your form for accommodation choices. Age is truly but a number in University. People will rarely ask for it, and once they know, it will not make any difference. You are all in the same year of study, and that's all that matters with students at Warwick :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest