The Student Room Group

Masters in Europe

Despite not beginning my degree at L'Boro until September I have been doing some research on doing a Masters in Europe. At the minute I am enrolled on the MEng course but I could swap over to the BEng in either of my first two years so it's something I'd rather research now.

For me it would be great because there's less debt to take on (I could/will save enough during my 3 years of BEng - if I swap - to fund living costs and most of the university fees are non-existent / very low), it would be a great experience to live in a different country which would build my character and I enjoy travelling - a tad bored of England after 19 years...

Just wondered if anyone had any tips, advice or know anyone who has?

Cheers in advance!
(edited 7 years ago)
The expense thing isn't completely accurate, in a best case scenario you'll be spending £12,000 over the 2 years and realistically it'll be £18,000 or £20,000. Either way you have to fund it yourself which is frankly unrealistic, the most I've seen a student make in a year who didn't have an internship in IB or their own business is about £3,500. The rest of the money you would need to get a graduate loan for which obviously doesn't carry the nice repayment terms of the graduate tax/student loans. You would be better off doing an M2, I'm not sure if they're offered outside of France but it'll mean you'll only have to fund one year and you'll have an extra year to raise funds. There's also your bog-standard year abroad route.
Reply 2
Original post by Helloworld_95
The expense thing isn't completely accurate, in a best case scenario you'll be spending £12,000 over the 2 years and realistically it'll be £18,000 or £20,000. Either way you have to fund it yourself which is frankly unrealistic, the most I've seen a student make in a year who didn't have an internship in IB or their own business is about £3,500. The rest of the money you would need to get a graduate loan for which obviously doesn't carry the nice repayment terms of the graduate tax/student loans. You would be better off doing an M2, I'm not sure if they're offered outside of France but it'll mean you'll only have to fund one year and you'll have an extra year to raise funds. There's also your bog-standard year abroad route.

Thanks for your reply. Yeah financially it really depends where I'd study, some countries are a LOT more expensive than the UK but others have some cheaper cities. But I'll look into the M2 :smile:
Reply 3
Yh I took the same route as you. I'm going into final year Aero Beng at Lufbra, and gonna apply for a 2 year masters at TU Delft Netherlands. I am looking around for funding and I think there is something called Erasmus + masters loan which allow you to take 18,000 euros over the two years. I don't know if it would still be available by the time you graduate, cos it runs from 2014-2020, and the whole Brexit thing.You should try getting a year long placement and summer placements, you might save up some money or they might even sponsor your masters.

Quick Reply

Latest