Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Bench press - How fast should I see improvements?

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

(Original post by RandomBadgerinoo)
    Do you do the reps correctly? Never try too jump on to the highest weight you can do with a one rep max, always build up with 8 reps as a warm up, and if you're looking to hit a one rep max, do one rep on each weight as it progresses up

If you're after strength gains with a squat find out what your one rep max is, and then do 30kg less than what that one rep max is

IE If you get a one rep max of say 50kg, your progressive build would be 30kg
    He stopped lifting for 3/4 years, he clearly lost strength.

(Original post by brainhuman)
    Who the mother**** ever said I want big legs?

For ****s sake.

Sorry, I am done.

Delete the thread.

I will never talk to gym freaks ever again. No wonder you guys have such a bad rep.
    Response to the 1st point highlighted:

Response to the 2nd point highlighted:

We're all trying to help you make it brah ... dont be a sad :rolleyes:

(Original post by WoodyMKC)
    So you want to train your upper body which will put muscle on it, but want to have skinny legs, yes?
    I bet with OP attitude he'll be like ....

(Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple)
    If this kid tried squatting he'd probably ego lift straight to snap city anyway.
    OP is the type of guy who would quarter squat the bar :laugh:

Inb4 OP becomes triggered. Its 100% banter! #notsrs

this thread = lol

(Original post by LelouchViRuge)
    Mind if I ask you a quick question?

If not, I'm now 16 currently at sixth form. I have never attended Gym consistently and only did so occasionally with a few of my friends from school, which was in Year 9/10. Back then, I was able to bench press about 5 reps with 30kg on each side of the bar. Now I attended gym last week for the first time in ages, and was unable to do more than 5 reps of 10kg on each side. At first, I thought it would take a few days to get used to it again, but this has not been the case... I tried again and was only able to comfortably lift 10 reps of 5kg on each side of the bar...

WTF is happening to my body??
    Nothing is happening to your body, you stopped lifting for 3 years or so and because of this you lost strength, If you want to start lifting again, start with a workout like Stronglifts 5x5 (it even has an app for your phone) and within 2-3 months you'll be lifting more than you did previously. Good luck!

(Original post by WoodyMKC)
    I did say it in my first reply, but I said the "big legs" part first and you probably stopped reading there :lol:

Well, either way round, I'd still recommend training the entire body for the best result. A balanced physique is an aesthetically pleasing one
    I incoporated squats into my routine again

Hey, Can anyone suggest me a proper workout to build square shaped chest.
    My routine is: Mon and Thu - chest & triceps
    Tue and Fri - back & biceps
    Wed and Sun - legs & shoulders
    Thursday - Rest

I stopped doing cardiovascular exercises in gym because I play football and cricket daily for 2 hours daily.
    So, my chest routine is Mon- warmup
    Incline Dumbbell press- 4 sets, 15 reps each
    Flat Dumbbell press- 3 sets, 15 reps each
    Incline Flys - 3 sets, 12 reps each
    Pec Deck - 3 sets 12 reps each

Thu- warmup
    Incline Barbell press - 4 sets, 15 reps each
    Flat Barbell press - 3 sets, 12 reps each
    Flat Flys - 3 sets, 12 reps each
    Cable crossovers - 3 sets, 12 reps each
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 1, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.