Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Abstinence at uni

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad? Are they even worth it? Have your say! 26-10-2016

Hey everybody,

After being hurt several times by "****boys", I'm trying to get more savvy with deciphering who is a "****boy" and who isn't - even though that I usually go for seemingly nice people. This includes not hooking up with people or having casual flings outside of some kind of a committed relationship. I'm even considering just being abstinent for a year or two to let myself heal (I guess?) from idiots who I have experienced.

I'm kind of worried that I will stray away from this at uni, especially with the expectations of Freshers etc.. I understand that this is mostly an effort of determination but I was wondering if anybody else has done this or how difficult it was. It's not as if I've been a sexual animal prior to uni, but I just wondered how people have dealt with this and how much of a pressure the first year of uni in terms of this...

Well, I'm kind of forced to be abstinent due to lack of opportunity but, honestly, if you have even the most basic of willpower than I would say anyone is capable of doing this.

However, I would also recommend you do research to try and discover why you always end up with these types of men. Where I go to uni, this sort of thing is rife, and I've discovered it's because the girls here are unwilling to look at themselves and identify where they themselves are going wrong. Self-reflection is a good thing.

Take time out. Heal. Focus on your social and academic life. When you're feeling ready, try again.

stay away from ****boys, to them you are just number #x on their **** list.

One of my friends at uni was religious and believed in no sex before marriage. She wouldn't bring anyone home but that didn't stop her meeting lots of people and getting with them on a night out. You could just do that.

I don't understand your post. If you don't want sex, don't have sex.

Thanks everybody and I mean, yeah of course I understand what you mean Leftee, I mean seems completely logical, right? But I think I'm just skeptical of how easily people may get caught up in the expectations and energy of university freshers life

University is not skins

Too many people believe all the crap that is on TV

Some people go nuts for a few weeks, some don't
    You don't have to be a hermit and you don't have to have a bacchanalian orgy
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 7, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

I want...

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.