The Student Room Group

HELP PLEASE - English!

Hi there,

I need help with writing an essay for OF MICE AND MEN.
I need to explore the way Steinbeck presents strong feelings in the relationship between George and Lennie in Of Mice and Men.

Any ideas how to get a high grade?

Thanks
Reply 1
:smile:
Reply 2
How many marks is it for? Generally speaking you need a simple introduction explaining the theme, then a paragraph or two with an example a time you feel strong feelings are presented explained with a large amount of language analysis followed by your conclusion/judgement but in this case a judgement won't be necessary. The key to Lit is to write a large amount about a small quote you've found. Good luck! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Xzerzes
How many marks is it for? Generally speaking you need a simple introduction explaining the theme, then a paragraph or two with an example a time you feel strong feelings are presented explained with a large amount of language analysis followed by your conclusion/judgement but in this case a judgement won't be necessary. The key to Lit is to write a large amount about a small quote you've found. Good luck! :smile:

It's out of 30 marks. Please can you give just one example so I get the idea. Thanks very much. :smile:

Maybe loneliness?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Personally I would be explaining how George needs Lennie and Lennie needs George so the Idea of companionship. George acts as a sort of parent to Lennie, Lennie almost shadows George and requires constant reassurance from him throughout. George cares for Lennie despite him mucking up in Weed and stops Lennie from drinking too much from the Lake because he cares for Lennie's health. I think Loneliness could also work for this though because why else would George keep Lennie around if not for his companionship? Steinback presents 1920s America as a lonely place, Curley's wife is left without a name and is quick to make friends with Lennie because she has nobody you could mention her but I wouldn't go any further than I have there since the question specifically asks for George and Lennie's relationship :smile:
At the end, when Carlson is confused as to why George is so upset after he killed Lennie. Lennie was a companion to George, travelling around with him and keeping him company. Without Lennie, George would have turned into the stereotypical ranch worker, personified by Carlson, violent, noncaring etc.
Reply 6
Original post by Xzerzes
Personally I would be explaining how George needs Lennie and Lennie needs George so the Idea of companionship. George acts as a sort of parent to Lennie, Lennie almost shadows George and requires constant reassurance from him throughout. George cares for Lennie despite him mucking up in Weed and stops Lennie from drinking too much from the Lake because he cares for Lennie's health. I think Loneliness could also work for this though because why else would George keep Lennie around if not for his companionship? Steinback presents 1920s America as a lonely place, Curley's wife is left without a name and is quick to make friends with Lennie because she has nobody you could mention her but I wouldn't go any further than I have there since the question specifically asks for George and Lennie's relationship :smile:

Hi thank you very much. There's no marks for historical context but there is for writers' ideas for engagement with them and the writers' attitudes using precisely selected supporting textual detail. How can I do this?

Thanks!! :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Woody_Pigeon
At the end, when Carlson is confused as to why George is so upset after he killed Lennie. Lennie was a companion to George, travelling around with him and keeping him company. Without Lennie, George would have turned into the stereotypical ranch worker, personified by Carlson, violent, noncaring etc.

Hi thanks but which strong feeling would that be?
Original post by _Xenon_

Dependence, perhaps loneliness. Fear of becoming just another mindless worker.
Original post by _Xenon_

Perhaps you could say that Carlson just seemed a bit baffled from the familly-like relationship of Geroge and Lennie. A classic embodiment of a ranch worker can be percieved as someone who is alienated from the idea of being loved. Take a look at the last sentence of the book. If my memory of the book serves me well, I don't seem to remember a line, indicating any likely sympathy from Carlson. But I have read the book months ago, so correct me if you found a quote that examplifies this.
Reply 10
Original post by Woody_Pigeon
Dependence, perhaps loneliness. Fear of becoming just another mindless worker.

Thanks! :smile:
Reply 11
Is companionship a feeling

Quick Reply

Latest