Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Which way to turn?

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016

Hi everyone

Been lurking this site for some years since I started college in 2010. I left college & went straight into work as I had had enough of education & wanted to get out into the world earning some money. I fell into footwear retail & absolutely love it (well, the footwear side, not so much the retailing!) & have now decided at the age of 22 that I want to study Footwear Design at DMU.

Obviously I have a few things to think about. I've decided I want to study part-time for a few reasons. I think I would make the most of the course this way - I don't want to get stressed & end up rushing assignments/projects etc; I want to put 100% into it, I think I could make bigger waves, make more contacts & develop more in six years than I can in three & also I have commitments financially so I need to be able to earn a decent amount at the same time.

My issue is that I currently have a FT job within the industry but I work hard. At present I am just ticking over energy & motivation wise so I feel that with my current role I couldn't manage university as well. My job only just manages to cover my outgoings BUT it is within the probably the worlds biggest footwear company but I absolutely adore the company & their name obviously looks good on my CV so...

Do I find work in an unrelated industry which is better paid & less stress or do I stick at it to have the companys' (sp?) name on my CV OR do I get a job within the industry with a smaller company for the same money but obviously less work load so I can put the most into my studies?

& for anyone else who studies this course, what is the timetable like? I've tried to contact the university but to no avail.

Thanks in advance to anyone that replies

You really need more information.

1. Have you asked your employer to see if they will sponsor you to do the degree? that would seem to solve it all? Talk to the training HR people.
    2. If you are only just ticking over now, then with a degree and p/t work you will be earning much less, so figure out how much you need.

3a) Unrelated industry , more money and less work stress? possibly if you cna find such a job.
    3b) Smaller company and less work? Thats a call by you. You might get better exposure, but your current company you like.
    3c) same company? If yu can get more money or better exeperience , then yes.

4. Getting the timetable. Honestly you just need to persevere. If they dont respond to an e-mail then phone or letter are harder to ignore. its not likely they will give a imetable but you cna get a syllabus and they cna indicate how many contact hoyrs per week and home sudy they expect. You should ask if you cna go and visit plus have an informal chat or meet with a current student rep.

Btw isnt there a shoe designers organisation or forum you can ask on?
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 28, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

I want...

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.