The Student Room Group

How much free time do student nurses have?

As the title says.

*EDIT: I'm going into adult nursing, if that makes a difference :smile:
Reply 1
None. Haha no I'm joking. I'm only 5 weeks in so at the moment I'm finding it fairly enjoyable. I do have a lot to do but it's things that aren't immediate if that makes sense (apart from my essay due in 2 weeks). It all depends on how well you manage your time and how good you are at starting things. If you can do both well youl have spare time! But again you have to prioritise also....your work has to come first in order to have spare time. I've heard year 2 is really difficult so not sure what to expect but if I manage my time well and use study days to actually study and not sit around all day I'm sure il be fine x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dominae
As the title says.

*EDIT: I'm going into adult nursing, if that makes a difference :smile:

It really varies. Sometimes I'm working full time (and then some, doing extra shifts elsewhere), and I don't feel like I have a minute to myself, other times in the course I've been doing clinical skills rotations and have had 10 days of nothingness. There usually is something to be done, whether that's an essay or online modules, but as long as you plan your time properly and don't leave things to the last minute, you should have a reasonable amount of free time. Obviously the holidays are nowhere near as good as those for other uni students, but it's not awful once you get used to it.
Reply 3
Original post by wbnurse
None. Haha no I'm joking. I'm only 5 weeks in so at the moment I'm finding it fairly enjoyable. I do have a lot to do but it's things that aren't immediate if that makes sense (apart from my essay due in 2 weeks). It all depends on how well you manage your time and how good you are at starting things. If you can do both well youl have spare time! But again you have to prioritise also....your work has to come first in order to have spare time. I've heard year 2 is really difficult so not sure what to expect but if I manage my time well and use study days to actually study and not sit around all day I'm sure il be fine x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Charlotte49
It really varies. Sometimes I'm working full time (and then some, doing extra shifts elsewhere), and I don't feel like I have a minute to myself, other times in the course I've been doing clinical skills rotations and have had 10 days of nothingness. There usually is something to be done, whether that's an essay or online modules, but as long as you plan your time properly and don't leave things to the last minute, you should have a reasonable amount of free time. Obviously the holidays are nowhere near as good as those for other uni students, but it's not awful once you get used to it.

Thanks both!
It depends on the schedule that your uni has set out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
depends on the time table , the assessed work / portfolio hand in dates and so on

expect to have 37.5 hours a week in placement when on placement , expect to have fairly full weeks in uni when in study blocks ...

you will have less freedom over your time than people who do the predominately essay based subjects with little contact time ...

Quick Reply

Latest