The Student Room Group

What to expect in university and how to do well?

My university life is starting in 9 days.I am joining the Computer Science and Engineering department.So,guys what are the tips that I should follow to do well in studies and be able to make new friends?How to make friends? :/ What should I do before my first class at uni?I mean what are the preparation that I need before going to uni?Give some differences between uni life and A level student life and ways to tackle things well.
Original post by S242
My university life is starting in 9 days.I am joining the Computer Science and Engineering department.So,guys what are the tips that I should follow to do well in studies and be able to make new friends?How to make friends? :/ What should I do before my first class at uni?I mean what are the preparation that I need before going to uni?Give some differences between uni life and A level student life and ways to tackle things well.

Hey!

One of the biggest factors with doing well at university is keeping on top of work and staying organised. It's very easy to be in the mindset of "I'll do things next week", but that can often lead to assignments or reports building up on top of exam studying. As soon as classes start, do the work they require and take the time to learn the content, it helps massively in the long run.

As for making friends, there are so many different options. Joining clubs or societies is an easy way of meeting lots of new people, especially those who have similar interests as you. You could have potentially hundreds of options to choose from. As well as that, the university will run lots of social events and you are bound to meet new people where you live.

Hope this helps! :smile:

Scott
Undergraduate Rep
School of Engineering
I suggest you should be relaxing with ur study for first few days because there may not too much when u first started. make new friends by going to events and society, bar at uni if you are a sociable person. also, if you live in campus , it is the best opportunity to meet new people. in my opinion, having friends around r good for studying and helps u making contacts too, u never know later u need their help for job or sharing a company or anything, so uni is the best environment for this. Make friends early is better because when people already have group of friends for themselves, it may be hard for u to join in, so do it now at the beginning. Some people say they love uni because they are happy, but some people completely hate it, and when i started to ask the reason, quite few of them said because they didn't have closed friends.
For your study, u should expect more advanced thing will come up, and you will realise a-level was so much easier. I dont want to scare you, but you should expect this to come, things will get more harder. Uni always want students to be self-study, know how to research on your own, self discipline, no lecturers will force you to do anything, you do it or u fail, ur choice. If you have homework or projects they may be hard and again, you need group of friends to study with, to discuss will make your life easier and learn from each others. And as the above comment said study regularly is better in the long run, it is true, procrastination is not good, you may write or learn few pages for each lecture so there r so much to catch at exam time. therefore, make sure you know everything, and write them down incase when u revise for exam you will forget what you have done.
so. good luck and I hope my tips help.
Reply 3
Original post by vanessa_tram
I suggest you should be relaxing with ur study for first few days because there may not too much when u first started. make new friends by going to events and society, bar at uni if you are a sociable person. also, if you live in campus , it is the best opportunity to meet new people. in my opinion, having friends around r good for studying and helps u making contacts too, u never know later u need their help for job or sharing a company or anything, so uni is the best environment for this. Make friends early is better because when people already have group of friends for themselves, it may be hard for u to join in, so do it now at the beginning. Some people say they love uni because they are happy, but some people completely hate it, and when i started to ask the reason, quite few of them said because they didn't have closed friends.
For your study, u should expect more advanced thing will come up, and you will realise a-level was so much easier. I dont want to scare you, but you should expect this to come, things will get more harder. Uni always want students to be self-study, know how to research on your own, self discipline, no lecturers will force you to do anything, you do it or u fail, ur choice. If you have homework or projects they may be hard and again, you need group of friends to study with, to discuss will make your life easier and learn from each others. And as the above comment said study regularly is better in the long run, it is true, procrastination is not good, you may write or learn few pages for each lecture so there r so much to catch at exam time. therefore, make sure you know everything, and write them down incase when u revise for exam you will forget what you have done.
so. good luck and I hope my tips help.

Thanks,yes it was really helpful. :smile:
Keep on top of work. It's so, so easy to fall behind and/or have loads of work to do. Coursework, you should try and finish well before the deadline and give yourself time to revise for exams as well.

But don't work too hard. Have fun, get involved, see what happens.
Reply 5
Original post by SeanFM
Keep on top of work. It's so, so easy to fall behind and/or have loads of work to do. Coursework, you should try and finish well before the deadline and give yourself time to revise for exams as well.

But don't work too hard. Have fun, get involved, see what happens.

Okay,I will try not to procrastinate. :king1:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending