The Student Room Group

My GCSEs/IGCEs, What are/were yours? Plus Advice

Hey,
i was just thinking that I picked, IGCSEs inMaths,English Lang, English Lit,Biology, Chemistry and Physics. and GCSEs in Geography, History, Philosophy and Ethics and Statistics.
However i was wondering im stating these courses next year, anyone have any experience or advice in any of these areas. I kow i'll be taking the new exams in 2019 with the new 2018 course, but juts advice would be great and advice overall starting the GCSE/IGCSE courses.

Plus i want to know what subjects are you doing or did you do, (if your doing a levels which, what uni subject are you applying and same for uni)

Please any help would be great, especially as i'm joining a new school next year when starting GCSE courses.
Reply 1
Any advice will be great

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've done iGCSE English Lit

I'm doing iGCSE English lang and GCSE chem, physics, biology, geog, maths, RE, French & AS philosophy

For A-Level I'm taking English lit, French, Biology and either maths, chemistry, politics or geography
Reply 3
Original post by vn2410
Hey,
i was just thinking that I picked, IGCSEs inMaths,English Lang, English Lit,Biology, Chemistry and Physics. and GCSEs in Geography, History, Philosophy and Ethics and Statistics.
However i was wondering im stating these courses next year, anyone have any experience or advice in any of these areas. I kow i'll be taking the new exams in 2019 with the new 2018 course, but juts advice would be great and advice overall starting the GCSE/IGCSE courses.

Plus i want to know what subjects are you doing or did you do, (if your doing a levels which, what uni subject are you applying and same for uni)

Please any help would be great, especially as i'm joining a new school next year when starting GCSE courses.

Maths - Edexcel
English Language - WJEC
English Literature - WJEC
Biology - AQA
Chemistry - AQA
Physics - AQA
History - AQA
German - WJEC
Philosophy and Ethics - OCR
Business Studies - OCR

No IGCSE's all normal GCSE's.
Original post by vn2410
Hey,

I'm currently studying Maths, English Literature, English Language, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, History, Geography, Religious Studies and Psychology...

For advice..I would say try out lots of the new specimen papers on the exam board websites and buy lots of textbooks BUT USE THEM!!!! Learning how to answer the exam questions are really important! Don't underestimate the difficulty of some of them...
Reply 5
Original post by RamPaigeTheSky
I'm currently studying Maths, English Literature, English Language, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, History, Geography, Religious Studies and Psychology...

For advice..I would say try out lots of the new specimen papers on the exam board websites and buy lots of textbooks BUT USE THEM!!!! Learning how to answer the exam questions are really important! Don't underestimate the difficulty of some of them...

Thanks for the help

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Tinka99
Maths - Edexcel
English Language - WJEC
English Literature - WJEC
Biology - AQA
Chemistry - AQA
Physics - AQA
History - AQA
German - WJEC
Philosophy and Ethics - OCR
Business Studies - OCR

No IGCSE's all normal GCSE's.

Any advice on specific subjects what is the history course like ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by vn2410
Thanks for the help

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're welcome!
Reply 8
Original post by vn2410
Any advice on specific subjects what is the history course like ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If speaking about the current spec I would say it's a hard subject which does require some real effort and hard work. The exam questions are literally essay writing so having good English skills is essential, You must be able to analyse sources and think through some of the questions as it's not always straight forward. The course is densely packed with information and remembering key dates, events, causes, significance and consequences is really important to achieve a high grade.
Reply 9
Original post by Tinka99
If speaking about the current spec I would say it's a hard subject which does require some real effort and hard work. The exam questions are literally essay writing so having good English skills is essential, You must be able to analyse sources and think through some of the questions as it's not always straight forward. The course is densely packed with information and remembering key dates, events, causes, significance and consequences is really important to achieve a high grade.

Thanks for all the help

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest