Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Please help

Announcements Posted on
Last day to win £100 of Amazon vouchers - don't miss out! Take our quick survey to enter 24-10-2016
    • Thread Starter

    I desperately need some help here.

    I'm a Mother of a first year student who has changed his mind about the course he's doing and wants to change uni's and start again with a slightly different course.
    The problem is not my son it's his father who is a control freak and who is doing everything in his power to control this situation and stop him changing courses.
    I have asked my son to talk to his father as his father is giving me a hard time because I agree with my son's choices.

    My son partly wants to change because he hates the course he is doing but mainly he wants to now go away to uni to get away from his father's controlling behavior.

    I'm stuck in the middle I'm getting grief from my husband. I actually WANT my son to go away to live his own life as he doesn't have much freedom here at home and his friends all went away last year and he has no one left here anymore.
    Any suggestions as to what we or I can do? it's all very upsetting.

    Have you had a family discussion? As in, all of you in one room with a mediator discussing everything. I hope you and your son get what you want

    Have a glass of wine
Write a reply…


Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 29, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you rather find
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.