The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey, I was doing the other question

but it doesn't matter what poem you compared it to at all as long as you actually had something to say and backed your points up with quotations!
Reply 2
I did cluster 2, and compared Search for my tongue with Half-Caste. Most people didnt use Half-Caste Ive been told but it doesnt really matter.
Reply 3
I DID LIMBO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

its fine it says in this A* revision guide that limbo is a poem to use when comparing culture, dont worry :smile:
Reply 4
well i compared vultures with what they were like and talked about the methods used to show how one culture can destroy another. yeh loads of people from my school compared it to nothings changed but i didnt.
Reply 5
hey yea i did the same as zen90, i compared search for my rongue with half-caste, which one did u lot do from the describe explain or inform i did the 4th one writing a letter to the editor of a newspaper explaining that the criticism of teenages wasn't fair...
Reply 6
I compared what were they like with night of the scorpion how they present culture from different viewpoints, from outside a culture looking in and from actually being part of the culture i think i may have been the only one...
Reply 7
i did what were they like and two scavengers.

im slightly concerned though, i compared how the kind of people are described and the way they are due to society and talked about how a bit of imagery basically questions democracy... along those lines anyway. I totally forgot to talked about form which relevant in both poems - to culture perhaps aswell, although in two scavengers its more about society.

i think i've buggerd this one up :frown:
Reply 8
i did those 2 poems aswell just talked about two cultures rich and poor shown throw appearnace and things they own compared with the silver and jade in what were they like which shows culture through stuff like lanterns of stone, shows they lived hapily with basic facilities.............
Reply 9
Hey..

I did "what were they like" and "blessing".. I'm not very good at english but hopefully this was an ok choice :smile:
i did search with hurricane :s-smilie: i haven't heard anyoe else whose done that but it was justified so i shojuld be fine
I did search with presents from my pants in pakistan.
Reply 12
i picked half caste and search for my tongue
Reply 13
Tehgiggles.

HEY EVERYONE LOOK! IT'S PERSONIFICATION! TWICE. I'm getting good at this English thing.
Reply 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tehgiggles.
HEY EVERYONE LOOK! IT'S PERSONIFICATION! TWICE. I'm getting good at this English thing.

-------
could that not also be assonance... correct me if im wrong its not my best subject.

(i compared search with half-caste mainly as they both use examples of there own language / accent. )
Or the fundamental one ALLITERATIONZ!!1
Reply 16
I hope you wrote such brilliant, technically potent sentences in your exam tehgiggles, you would've CREAMED it.
lol thx!!!!!!!

But really, I hope I did alright.
im sure everyones done fine :smile:

i did the second question, about 'from search for my tongue'
i compared it with 'half caste' which at first i was like wth have i picked this one for, but i carried on and surprisingly i could find a lot to write about the identity etc.
Stooja
i did what were they like and two scavengers.

im slightly concerned though, i compared how the kind of people are described and the way they are due to society and talked about how a bit of imagery basically questions democracy... along those lines anyway. I totally forgot to talked about form which relevant in both poems - to culture perhaps aswell, although in two scavengers its more about society.

i think i've buggerd this one up :frown:

No no, you got it spot on!

I compared these two poems also as I feel that Ferlinghetti and Levertov both made their views on culture very clear; Ferlinghetti made his views clear on the way in which he thinks the 'American dream' and the American society is a joke using techniques such as sarcistic tone and the way the layout is so jumbled and has no order.. on the other hand, Levertov made her views on how destructive and pointless war is; it destroyed a culture, it destroyed the simple ways in which they lived - 'lanterns made of stone' 'rice and bamboo' etc.. - and turned their lives into fighting to stay alive and cope with the remains of the war. The methods she uses to make her point includes how the answers to the questions in the first stanza turn from solum to increasingly bitter towards the end.

Latest