The Student Room Group

What Spring week/Internships sectors should I be applying to if I want to go into M&A

Hi,
This may seem like a silly question, but none that I have seen explicitly say an internship for M&A etc. so what should I be applying to?
I thought that Risk management would include it within but could be wrong, any advice/experience greatly appreciated, easpecially if you have gone through this too, thanks :smile:
Original post by TheNicholas
Hi,
This may seem like a silly question, but none that I have seen explicitly say an internship for M&A etc. so what should I be applying to?
I thought that Risk management would include it within but could be wrong, any advice/experience greatly appreciated, easpecially if you have gone through this too, thanks :smile:

I'm not sure if this is an actual question.. or?

Please Google: 'Divisons of an Investment Bank'. This is knowledge you should already have, especially if you're looking at M&A as an end goal - a.k.a, a supremely competitive gig to get.. Risk has nothing to do with M&A.

Not all spring weeks will be division specific, some will just be a general introduction to front office.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not that Risk has nothing to do with M&A: In fact they work with execution team to determine exposure in underwriting. You are not closing the deal, but certainly talking with the coverage/product teams about bank's appetite.
Original post by Blueberryjuice
Not that Risk has nothing to do with M&A: In fact they work with execution team to determine exposure in underwriting. You are not closing the deal, but certainly talking with the coverage/product teams about bank's appetite.

Risk does touch base with capital markets teams (and a boatload of others too), definitely. But if someone's aim is to get into an M&A group and they don't even know what IBD is, that's a major red flag.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Princepieman
Risk does touch base with capital markets teams (and a boatload of others too), definitely. But if someone's aim is to get into an M&A group and they don't even know what IBD is, that's a major red flag.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi,
Sorry I think there's been some confusion probably due to my miscommunication, I understand what M&A is and IBD however I was unsure about specific spring week programmes and was seeing if risk management would be a suitable alternative to start with, however I still appreciate your insights, thank you
Hi,
Sorry I think there's been some confusion probably due to my miscommunication, I understand what M&A is and IBD however I was unsure about specific spring week programmes and was seeing if risk management would be a suitable alternative to start with, however I still appreciate your insights, thank you

There are IBD spring weeks, and as I mentioned above general 'front office' spring weeks. Apply for those.
apply to all spring programmes for their IBD divisions (if applicable)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just because somebody doesn't know what IBD is isn't a red flag. That's the point of a spring week. For you to apply because you want to go into banking but don't know what you want to do. Spring weeks are there to show you what divisions and groups there are which is why they're generic programmes

Hi,

This is not a silly question. It is confusing to know if you're just starting to look. What you want to do is look at the description they usually put up in the application. Another clue is to apply for a front office spring week. If you're still confuse. Just contact the HR.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Spiritually
Just because somebody doesn't know what IBD is isn't a red flag. That's the point of a spring week. For you to apply because you want to go into banking but don't know what you want to do. Spring weeks are there to show you what divisions and groups there are which is why they're generic programmes

It's a massive red flag.. If someone said they wanted to work in M&A, applied to a risk SW under the impression that M&A is housed there, how would it help them come interviews?

SWs are mostly either division specific or split into front office/middle office stuff (risk, treasury)/back office (Ops, Tech, Functions etc). There's only 1 fully 'generic' SW.

When the apps per place for these SWs is 25-50+ and you don't know which division houses your area of interest, it'll be a struggle.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
It's a massive red flag.. If someone said they wanted to work in M&A, applied to a risk SW under the impression that M&A is housed there, how would it help them come interviews?

SWs are mostly either division specific or split into front office/middle office stuff (risk, treasury)/back office (Ops, Tech, Functions etc). There's only 1 fully 'generic' SW.

When the apps per place for these SWs is 25-50+ and you don't know which division houses your area of interest, it'll be a struggle.

Hi,
I agree with most of what you have said but me asking this question isn't really a red flag, I'm asking now so that I'm more prepared in real situations, it would be a red flag if I did it at an interview, but when I'm checking which department I should apply for internships to? I don't think it is.
Hi,
I agree with most of what you have said but me asking this question isn't really a red flag, I'm asking now so that I'm more prepared in real situations, it would be a red flag if I did it at an interview, but when I'm checking which department I should apply for internships to? I don't think it is.

That was the point I was making, if you did ask it in an interview it would be a red flag. But you know now so it's alright, sorry if you took it the wrong way.

There's nothing wrong with asking it here, but it would have been a tad better if you googled it first.
That was the point I was making, if you did ask it in an interview it would be a red flag. But you know now so it's alright, sorry if you took it the wrong way.

There's nothing wrong with asking it here, but it would have been a tad better if you googled it first.

Ahh okay, I totally understand and will google more thoroughly in future, thank you for your help nonetheless :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending