The Student Room Group

Best a levels for law? I know asked so many times...

Basically ive decided on 3 of my 4 a levels
Chemistry
Maths
History

I need to choose a 4th one but i wanted to choose one i could realistically do without dropping it along the line. Im deciding between economics or religious studies about i have no idea which will be more interesting??? Also does anyone have an idea but how universities (ucl (my dream to go here) lse and potentially oxbridge etc)view either of these for law? I no im asking a lot but some sort of insight would be really helpful!! Lots of rep to award as well!! (If thats any incentive lol)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by amjam441
Chemistry
Maths
History

I need to choose a 4th one but i wanted to choose one i could realistically do without dropping it along the line. Im deciding between economics or religious studies about i have no idea which will be more interesting??? Also does anyone have an idea but how universities (ucl (my dream to go here) lse and potentially oxbridge etc)view either of these for law? I no im asking a lot but some sort of insight would be really helpful!! Lots of rep to award as well!! (If thats any incentive lol)

Economics.
Reply 2
Chemistry
Maths
History

I'd say Economics would be a good choice personally :smile:
Chemistry
Maths
History

Universities are concerned about your 3 choices, and if you kept those first 3 you'll be more than fine. The requirements are pretty much 3 proper a levels with an essay subject. Of those two I would imagine religious studies would be more useful, cause as I understand it involves a lot of debates around ethical dilemmas which would have some practical application for a degree in law.

I wouldn't fret about it though, your first 3 will have you covered. Pick the one you'd most enjoy doing.
Im choosing to do history, economics, politics and french and considering you've already chosen history, then go for economics
Chemistry
Maths
History

I would go for religious studies, if by religious studies you mean the philosophy and ethics syllabus. I did this at A level before law degree and I loved it. Also very useful for jurisprudence.
Reply 6
Hiya thanks everyone for your replies so quickly!! Yeah my rs course will be the philosophy and ethics one. It looks like fun but the only economics that ive experienced was a week course last summer. If anyone who is or done will do economics elaborate a bit on why they suggest it. Thanks!!
Hiya thanks everyone for your replies so quickly!! Yeah my rs course will be the philosophy and ethics one. It looks like fun but the only economics that ive experienced was a week course last summer. If anyone who is or done will do economics elaborate a bit on why they suggest it. Thanks!!

With your other subjects it's a good idea to have a fun subject. You sound bright going by your uni choices so P&E will be a breeze for you. I missed an A* by 1 UMS and it wasn't difficult, if I'd done a bit more revision I would've made it but I was lazy.

Anyway I had an offer for UCL Law previously and I took Philosophy and Ethics, Classical Civilisation, and English Language and Literature. Your other subjects are all far more rigorous than mine so if you want to take P&E rather than Economics, it shouldn't affect your applications at all. P&E is actually quite highly regarded surprisingly because it's more philosophical at A level instead of just learning about religions. I really enjoyed it and found the knowledge useful for jurisprudence and legal theory. Economics would go nicely with Maths so they're both good choices really, I would suggest doing the one you think you'd enjoy more because your other subjects are very academic with heavy workloads and if you have a decent brain P&E is basically an A or A* straight in the bag!
id do economics, i did it at a level and find it helps me even now, i do law at ucl btw, whys it your dream to go to ucl?!
Chemistry
Maths
History

Anything that's not easy.

So do maths chem and phys

Posted from TSR Mobile
Uhm.... How about law?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by swagyolo420
Uhm.... How about law?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It doesn't give you an advantage. Plus it's a soft a level since they give the topics a simple treatment.
Original post by ServantOfMorgoth
It doesn't give you an advantage. Plus it's a soft a level since they give the topics a simple treatment.

Still gets you learning the basics... Don't see how it's a disadvantage.

Posted from TSR Mobile
All I know is my grade at law a level secured me my place to study law at uni. Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Still gets you learning the basics... Don't see how it's a disadvantage.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because it's a blacklisted subject by the top universities...
Original post by anonwinner
Because it's a blacklisted subject by the top universities...

Lol alright, I'm at a Russell group uni and I took law a level? I'm just trying to help. People shouldn't be bombarded with this bullsh*t about subjects that universities don't like. If he likes law he should take law a level, he will find it advantageous and more importantly will enjoy it. Aslong as he works hard and gets the grades his uni requires, that's all that matters. Jeeze some people man

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Lol alright, I'm at a Russell group uni and I took law a level? I'm just trying to help. People shouldn't be bombarded with this bullsh*t about subjects that universities don't like. If he likes law he should take law a level, he will find it advantageous and more importantly will enjoy it. Aslong as he works hard and gets the grades his uni requires, that's all that matters. Jeeze some people man

Posted from TSR Mobile

There are many universities in the Russel Group. Simply attending a Russel Group university doesn't necessarily mean your application was perfect.

You can still get into a decent university with non-preferred subjects, but studying Business Studies, Law, Media Studies etc. will disadvantage you in the application process compared with applicants who have strong subjects.

LSE lists A Level Law as a "non-preferred" subject here: http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/howToApply/lseEntryRequirements.aspx
Original post by anonwinner
There are many universities in the Russel Group. Simply attending a Russel Group university doesn't necessarily mean your application was perfect.

You can still get into a decent university with non-preferred subjects, but studying Business Studies, Law, Media Studies etc. will disadvantage you in the application process compared with applicants who have strong subjects.

LSE lists A Level Law as a "non-preferred" subject here: http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/howToApply/lseEntryRequirements.aspx

Of course it's not perfect, but it's still a Russell group uni. I was hoping it shows that he should take subjects he will enjoy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
All I know is my grade at law a level secured me my place to study law at uni. Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

What uni?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I personally would have said english as I know that some unis can ask for that as an entry requirement, but really anything where there is a lot of reading involved haha :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest