Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

Working out chemical formulae

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

I'm studying the OCR 21st Century separate sciences.
    My questions is relating to the formula CaCO3.

I understand that calcium has a 2- charge, and therefore assume CO3 has a 2- charge. However, I don't know how to work out that CO3 has a 2- charge.

Am I meant to be able to calculate this, or just remember it as a fact?

I haven't taught C21 for a while, but when I did, you weren't meant to be able to remember that CO3 has a 2- charge, but you were meant to be able to work out the charge if you were told a compound's formula and the other ion's charge - exactly as you did.

e.g. if sodium carbonate is Na2CO3 and Na is 1+, then what is the charge on the CO3 ion?

It is important to note that when I say charge, I mean oxidation state. At this level (GCSE) it is sufficient and perfectly ok to think of it as charge but it isn't fully correct. So when I say charge in my post following I really mean oxidation state - but at GCSE you do t need I worry about it.
    Oxygen is in group 6 so has a charge of 2- . You may wonder why it isn't 6+ . This is because oxygen is a strong oxidising agent - meaning it takes electrons from things - so oxygen itself is reduced, it gains electrons form things.
    So O2 will have a charge of 4- .O3 will have a charge of 3- . Carbon is in group 4 and so has a charge of +4. Again you may wonder why this isn't -4. This is because carbon is usually a reduced agent so it loses electrons to things therefore becoming more positive.
    So carbon is +4 and O3 is -6 so the overall charge is 2- .
    I would do this for all the main ions, such as sulphate, phosphate, nitrate etc.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 28, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.