The Student Room Group

This is how to criticise Israel without being anti-Semitic

For those unsure of where the boundaries lie between the two, this post is really informative.

http://this-is-not-jewish.tumblr.com/post/34344324495/how-to-criticize-israel-without-being-anti-semitic

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I will keep it in mind as I have no criticisms at the moment
:smile:
Reply 2
Because encouraging hate on a perpetually persecuted people is a good idea.
Too many "Don't" points. Not enough "How can I actually criticize...".

Essentially it's saying: Don't criticize Israel because you are so stupid that you might actually make an anti-Semitic remark!

If I wanted a crib sheet on how to toe the line, I'd ask the Israeli Propaganda Office for one. At least they'll pay me to disseminate propaganda.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by BaronK
Because encouraging hate on a perpetually persecuted people is a good idea.

I'm unsure of what you're suggesting?
Reply 5
Original post by simbasdragon
I'm unsure of what you're suggesting?

It's a bad idea
Oh this will be difficult to stick to.
Original post by Ladymusiclover
Oh this will be difficult to stick to.

You'll find it difficult to avoid using historically anti-Semitic stereotypes and generalisations? Really?
Original post by BaronK
It's a bad idea

For who? Jews? This post comes in light of a major surge in anti-Semitism over the last couple of years, in many ways relating to people moving beyond legitimate criticisms of the Israeli government, to persecution of ordinary diaspora Jews.
I dont understand why we should meticulously look at what we are saying like this just so we dont offend jews. Another prime example of jewish people victimising themselves so they can stop criticism, its why Israel have got away with their illegal actions.

*accusations of anti semitism incoming*
You'll find it difficult to avoid using historically anti-Semitic stereotypes and generalisations? Really?

18 +19
Original post by TheArtofProtest
Too many "Don't" points. Not enough "How can I actually criticize...".

Essentially it's saying: Don't criticize Israel because you are so stupid that you might actually make an anti-Semitic remark!

If I wanted a crib sheet on how to toe the line, I'd ask the Israeli Propaganda Office for one. At least they'll pay me to disseminate propaganda.

This is what was written at the end of the article:

Do go ahead and criticize Israel.

Don’t use anti-Semitic stereotypes or tropes.

Don’t use overly expansive language that covers Jews as a whole and not just Israel.

Don’t use lies to boost your claims.

Do engage Jews in conversation on the issues of Israel and of anti-Semitism, rather than simply shutting them down for disagreeing.

Do try to be sensitive to the fact that, fair or not, many people take verbal or violent revenge for the actions of Israelis on Diasporan Jews, and Diasporan Jews are understandably frightened and upset by this.

You may find it patronising,but unfortunately many do not realise that their views are espousing anti-Semitic ideologies which put the well-being of ordinary Jews at risk. The spike in Anti-Semitic incidents in Britain in 2015 and 2016 attests to the need for people to be aware of their rhetoric.
This is what was written at the end of the article:

Do go ahead and criticize Israel.

Don’t use anti-Semitic stereotypes or tropes.

Don’t use overly expansive language that covers Jews as a whole and not just Israel.

Don’t use lies to boost your claims.

Do engage Jews in conversation on the issues of Israel and of anti-Semitism, rather than simply shutting them down for disagreeing.

Do try to be sensitive to the fact that, fair or not, many people take verbal or violent revenge for the actions of Israelis on Diasporan Jews, and Diasporan Jews are understandably frightened and upset by this.

Israel should **** off to America - Antisemitic or nay?

If ye, why?

You may find it patronising,but unfortunately many do not realise that their views are espousing anti-Semitic ideologies which put the well-being of ordinary Jews at risk. The spike in Anti-Semitic incidents in Britain in 2015 and 2016 attests to the need for people to be aware of their rhetoric.

They seem to spike whenever Israel is pummeling the Gaza Strip but yes, people need to be aware of their rhetoric.
Original post by Ladymusiclover
18 +19

Number 18, that 'Anti-Semitism has exclusively meant anti-Jewish bigotry for a good century plus now' is a statement of truth. The term was coined in 1879 and has continued to refer to prejudice or discrimination against Jews ever since. What is your exact problem with this?

Why is listening to what other have to say before interrupting so difficult for number 10. It's just manners surely?
Original post by Youngmetro
I dont understand why we should meticulously look at what we are saying like this just so we dont offend jews. Another prime example of jewish people victimising themselves so they can stop criticism, its why Israel have got away with their illegal actions.

*accusations of anti semitism incoming*

lol mate. ur too funny.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This can be said for many different ethnic minorities and races. So once again, why do Jews need special treatment?
Reply 16
Your freedom of speech will be blocked and you will be labelled as an anti-Semite if you criticise Israel for breaching human rights, oh wait, the daily mail tells me all Palestinians are 'arab terrorists' so I guess they must be right.
Original post by TheArtofProtest
Israel should **** off to America - Antisemitic or nay?

If ye, why?

They seem to spike whenever Israel is pummeling the Gaza Strip but yes, people need to be aware of their rhetoric.

I regard it as having anti-Semitic undertones, as it is effectively calling for the ethnic cleansing of Jewry from the Middle East. It is in light of her previous comments which make this claim more disturbing however, when she previously claimed that '"Never forget that everything Hitler did in Germany was legal,' drawing parallels between Hitler and the Israeli government, a deeply insensitive and ignorant comment which calls into question her ideas about Jewry.

And is is unfortunately the case that conflict in the Middle East often correlates with a rise in attacks upon British Jews. There are a frightening number of those who are unable to dissociate the actions of a government in the Middle East with ordinary people going about their lives in the UK, many of whom may have even visited Israel.

If they're true
Anti-semitic is an accusation anyway
From Jews namely
Original post by Youngmetro
This can be said for many different ethnic minorities and races. So once again, why do Jews need special treatment?

'Jews' as a whole? Has every single Jew asked for 'special treatment? Is it really special treatment to ask that people avoid perpetrating anti-Semitic rhetoric as it is having a very real and violent effect of innocent people? Would black people be asking for special treatment to request that people refrain from using historically racist language and stereotypes?

Quick Reply

Latest