The Student Room Group

Travelling to Japan!

I'm staying there for 3 days, but one day is spent on the bullet train to mount. Fuji. I was wondering if there is any places you recommend! What are the restaurants like as I'm useless with chopsticks 😂 Anything would be great thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
hmmm ,
Reply 2
Original post by Jodie_mort
I'm staying there for 3 days, but one day is spent on the bullet train to mount. Fuji. I was wondering if there is any places you recommend! What are the restaurants like as I'm useless with chopsticks 😂 Anything would be great thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

You are so lucky!
Reply 3

Posted from TSR Mobile

i asked for tomato sauce in an indian restraunt once.
im not traditional
Reply 4
Original post by shawtyb
i asked for tomato sauce in an indian restraunt once.
im not traditional

I have tomato sauce with everything, I think I have a problem haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by M14B
You are so lucky!

It's for my dads 50th so we're going somewhere that sounds amazing!:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hiya,

I went to Japan for two weeks last year, and it was just incredible! I travelled around from Tokyo out to Kyoto, Osaka, Hiroshima etc but if you're only there for three days are you only going to be staying in Tokyo? We spent 4 days in Tokyo, but only two days in the city itself so I can give you some tips if you're just staying there.

Regarding the restaurants, as far as I recall they were all chopsticks unfortunately so I'd probably suggest you practice a bit before you go. I wasn't the best with them either before I went, but you'll soon pick it up :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Legal_eagle2012
Hiya,

I went to Japan for two weeks last year, and it was just incredible! I travelled around from Tokyo out to Kyoto, Osaka, Hiroshima etc but if you're only there for three days are you only going to be staying in Tokyo? We spent 4 days in Tokyo, but only two days in the city itself so I can give you some tips if you're just staying there.

Regarding the restaurants, as far as I recall they were all chopsticks unfortunately so I'd probably suggest you practice a bit before you go. I wasn't the best with them either before I went, but you'll soon pick it up :smile:

I'm staying there for 3 days and then going to Nagasaki, and some other places as we are also going on a cruise. It would be great if you could give me some tips though!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm staying there for 3 days and then going to Nagasaki, and some other places as we are also going on a cruise. It would be great if you could give me some tips though!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok, well if you have two days in the city I would recommend the following:

-Ueno Park
-Meiji shrine
-Harajuku
-Akihabara
-Gundam cafe
-The fish markets
-Tokyo bay
-Robot restaurant
-Senso-ji (another shrine, which has markets and stuff next to it during the day)
-National Museum of Tokyo

We managed to get through the above in just over two days (we had almost another full day on our way back before our flight home).

Let me know if you have any other questions :smile:
- try Japanese curry
- get a prepaid SIM from SoftBank or Docomo if you like your internet. I've always found Tokyo to have very little public wifi spots aside from in hotels
- hot springs if you get the chance
- buy stacks of rare drinks/snacks e.g Grape Fanta, Strawberry Cheesecake KitKats
- have fun
Reply 10
Original post by Legal_eagle2012
Ok, well if you have two days in the city I would recommend the following:

-Ueno Park
-Meiji shrine
-Harajuku
-Akihabara
-Gundam cafe
-The fish markets
-Tokyo bay
-Robot restaurant
-Senso-ji (another shrine, which has markets and stuff next to it during the day)
-National Museum of Tokyo

We managed to get through the above in just over two days (we had almost another full day on our way back before our flight home).

Let me know if you have any other questions :smile:

Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by TelAviv
- try Japanese curry
- get a prepaid SIM from SoftBank or Docomo if you like your internet. I've always found Tokyo to have very little public wifi spots aside from in hotels
- hot springs if you get the chance
- buy stacks of rare drinks/snacks e.g Grape Fanta, Strawberry Cheesecake KitKats
- have fun

Thanks! Did you visit the sky tree? I'm interested in going there

Posted from TSR Mobile
x

You are such a lucky person. Would ove to travel to Japan, but I (still) can't. Okinawa seems to be a nice place in general. Oh, before I forget to tell you: avoid Fukushima!
Thanks! Did you visit the sky tree? I'm interested in going there

I was on a student exchange at the time and my host family took me to the tallest building with a viewing station in what I think was the financial district. Their reasoning for this was that because of the SkyTree's location, you'd actually see more of Tokyo from a more central location, albeit at a lesser height.

Sadly I can't remember the name of the building but I'm sure it'll appear in tourist guides
Reply 14
Original post by TelAviv
I was on a student exchange at the time and my host family took me to the tallest building with a viewing station in what I think was the financial district. Their reasoning for this was that because of the SkyTree's location, you'd actually see more of Tokyo from a more central location, albeit at a lesser height.

Sadly I can't remember the name of the building but I'm sure it'll appear in tourist guides

Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by Kallisto
You are such a lucky person. Would ove to travel to Japan, but I (still) can't. Okinawa seems to be a nice place in general. Oh, before I forget to tell you: avoid Fukushima!

Thanks! How come I need to avoid that place?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks! How come I need to avoid that place?

Did you have never heard of the radioactive disaster in Fukushima? this city is biohazardous since that happening.
Reply 17
Original post by Kallisto
Did you have never heard of the radioactive disaster in Fukushima? this city is biohazardous since that happening.

Wow really? I know nothing about that haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
all I am gonna say is try new foods, don't be a typical tourist and go to things you know all the time.

Try some good street vendors.
Reply 19
Original post by AperfectBalance
all I am gonna say is try new foods, don't be a typical tourist and go to things you know all the time.

Try some good street vendors.

I've heard the street food is really good but don't they eat sharks and pets though?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest