The Student Room Group

Dropping out of university at the end of 2nd year

Hi, I am a 2nd year CS student and I have decided to drop out of university. Before anyone tries to convince me otherwise, I should clarify that I do have a back up plan that starts in September (IT degree apprenticeship). I see this apprenticeship as a massive opportunity as I can actually work in my desired field and get a degree at the same time (even if that means uni for another 4 years).

I realise that there are financial ramifications if I drop out mid year like paying back grant/loan and I'd kinda like to avoid this. My plan is to stay as a student till the end of year which I guess is like August or something and then drop out. I am still of course going to sit my exams to keep up with the university contract, so I wont be slacking about. I am kinda debating whether or not to tell my adviser about my plan, I don't think he'll be too fond of it.

What I want to know is would this actually work? Has anyone else been in a similar situation and dropped out end of term? I also go to Glasgow uni currently if that helps. Any advice appreciated!
As a graduate who took 9 months to find a job, go for the apprenticeship. At least it will give you skills, experience and a much higher likelihood of getting a job in the end of it.
dont do it
Original post by jonuth
Hi, I am a 2nd year CS student and I have decided to drop out of university. Before anyone tries to convince me otherwise, I should clarify that I do have a back up plan that starts in September (IT degree apprenticeship). I see this apprenticeship as a massive opportunity as I can actually work in my desired field and get a degree at the same time (even if that means uni for another 4 years).

I realise that there are financial ramifications if I drop out mid year like paying back grant/loan and I'd kinda like to avoid this. My plan is to stay as a student till the end of year which I guess is like August or something and then drop out. I am still of course going to sit my exams to keep up with the university contract, so I wont be slacking about. I am kinda debating whether or not to tell my adviser about my plan, I don't think he'll be too fond of it.

What I want to know is would this actually work? Has anyone else been in a similar situation and dropped out end of term? I also go to Glasgow uni currently if that helps. Any advice appreciated!

Why can't you just finish your degree first?
Reply 4
Original post by cherryred90s
Why can't you just finish your degree first?

It's a Scottish degree so there's a further 2 more years and I don't really want to miss out on this apprenticeship. This is a guaranteed job in software development provided I do well in those 4 years.
Reply 5
Original post by uglyslut
dont do it

Why not?
Reply 6
Original post by jonuth
It's a Scottish degree so there's a further 2 more years and I don't really want to miss out on this apprenticeship. This is a guaranteed job in software development provided I do well in those 4 years.

See if your university will award you a DipHE so at least you have a qualification to show for the time already spent at uni.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by jneill
See if your university will award you a DipHE so at least you have a qualification to show for the time already spent at uni.

Good point, I'll have a look about that.
Imo you are doing everything right. Jneills point is good about getting something to show for it as is finishing your exams. Your reasoning is sound though as you get a job in your desired area. I doubt your tutor will care too much when he sees you have a plan.

Make a list of all the people you need to tell to close it down properly. these forums are full of people quitting after year 1 or 2, but they dont have a plan like you.
it seems silly of u to want to do an apprenticeship when your already doing a good degree. Apprenticeships are for people who cant get into university
Reply 10
it seems silly of u to want to do an apprenticeship when your already doing a good degree. Apprenticeships are for people who cant get into university

Apprenticeships aren't just for those who cant get into uni, especially a degree apprenticeship which imo is harder to get/has more competition. I mean sure the degree I get at the end of the apprenticeship probably isn't as respected as a CS degree but what I do get is 4 years industry experience and a permanent position at the end of it which currently no degree can guarantee. Degree apprenticeships are on the rise man, I bet in a few years everyone's gonna wanna get into one.
Reply 11
Original post by jonuth
Apprenticeships aren't just for those who cant get into uni, especially a degree apprenticeship which imo is harder to get/has more competition. I mean sure the degree I get at the end of the apprenticeship probably isn't as respected as a CS degree but what I do get is 4 years industry experience and a permanent position at the end of it which currently no degree can guarantee. Degree apprenticeships are on the rise man, I bet in a few years everyone's gonna wanna get into one.

Can you start at your new uni partway through though? If it's essentially the same course you should be able to transfer in at year 3.

Seems a bit daft to do 2 years at Glasgow and then have to do 4 years elsewhere.
Reply 12
Original post by jneill
Can you start at your new uni partway through though? If it's essentially the same course you should be able to transfer in at year 3.

Seems a bit daft to do 2 years at Glasgow and then have to do 4 years elsewhere.

Unfortunately no. I guess the structure of the program means I have to start at year 1 and tbh I don't really mind since I'm making a salary and not getting into uni debt.

Heres more about the apprenticeship: http://jlpjobs.com/apprenticeships/john-lewis-it-degree-apprenticeship/
That's total rubbish.Even though apprenticeships aren't well developed yet they have great potential. They are actually adding more value to the economy than university degree it'd say. Skills vs knowledge. I mean, come on.If you had any experience with other countries with apprenticeships (eg,. Germany) you would understand the importance of them. However, you can't (yet) compare English apprenticeships to German apprenticeships.
Original post by jonuth

I'd say apprenticeships offer a great alternative to university. Especially since you acquire actual skills as opposed to knowledge(degree) in my opinion.

Is the employer sponsoring the degree? Just asking because I am not sure you could start a new degree after 2 years of funding if it isn't paid for by the employer. Probably worth looking into this.
Why you wanna drop out?
I recently withdrew from my History degree at Kings and I'm about to start a CS degree at either QM/Newcastle this September. The withdrawal process was fairly straightforward (no one gave a **** basically) and financially I haven't heard back from The Student Loans Company yet about the overpayment of the maintenance grant (think I owe them around £600/700ish). I think your apprenticeship is fantastic considering you'll also get a degree too meaning you'll have both work exp and a degree. Good luck!

Latest