The Student Room Group

Cleaning Piercings

Today I got my lobes re-pierced for the third time and a double helix piercing for the first time. It's been a while since I last had my ears pierced and because I've never had my helix pierced before it's hurting quite a bit compared to the lobes.

Does anyone have any advice on cleaning new piercings, especially cartilage peircings. At the moment I feel like my helix piercings are a little sore to properly clean just now as they are on the same ear and quite close to each other.

Any advice is much appreciated :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Use an alcohol wipe or something similar to give them a clean.
Original post by ripjonsnow
Use an alcohol wipe or something similar to give them a clean.

Pretty sure that would dry them out, no? :unsure:

I have my helix pierced and used sea salt mixed with boiled then cooled a little water and it seemed to work well. Someone in the f&b forum recommended that to me.
Original post by Sabertooth
Pretty sure that would dry them out, no? :unsure:

I have my helix pierced and used sea salt mixed with boiled then cooled a little water and it seemed to work well. Someone in the f&b forum recommended that to me.

I used them to clean earings.
I think your solution may be better though.
Hydrogen peroxide is good. Also often places that do piercings have special products for cleaning them gently.
Sea salt soaks are great. Don't pick at them to remove dried blood or crusties, and avoid poking at them with cotton buds etc. If you find sleeping uncomfortable try a travel pillow to keep you from lying on them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Deffinately sea salt soak with a cotton pad. Its also quite gentle so doesnt hurt too much. Its what i used for my tragus and have never had any issues

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
I've been using saline solution so far and I kind of need to use a cotton bud to get in between the two helix piercings which I can still barely touch. However I did buy some sea salt today although I'm not sure if it's non-iodized so I've not tried the sea salt soak yet.
Reply 8
Yeah, do the sea salt. One spoonful three times a day mixed with warm water. Also make sure you don't lie on your ears when you're sleeping or you'll irritate the wounds.
Reply 9
So it's been over a month since I got the piercings and everything has been fine so far. Not changed the earrings yet since I have another month to wait for my helix. How long should I continue to clean my piercings twice a day?

Quick Reply

Latest