The Student Room Group

Dont know what uni course to choose

I will have to choose what uni course I want to do in the next few months. After some research it looks like this will most likely be dentistry. However I have a few concerns/questions,
1) What are the job opportunities like? Are they scarce or is it easy to find a job as a dentist
2) I have never been good at arts and crafts/making things. I'm scared that this will translate to me not having the skills to become a dentist. Is this the case
Thanks for taking the time to read and please reply!
Uwais :smile:
I know certainly that in the UK employment rates for dentists are very high. In my university 99% of newly qualified dentists were in full-time employment within 6 months.
In terms of crafts, some universities will ask you to bring something along to your interview to demonstrate your manual dexterity - if you aren't particularly crafty I would perhaps identify and avoid these particular universities. We've been told that it's ok if we aren't overly good with our hands yet; it's a skill that will be taught to us over time, so I wouldn't necessarily get put off by this.
Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by toothfairy1
I know certainly that in the UK employment rates for dentists are very high. In my university 99% of newly qualified dentists were in full-time employment within 6 months.
In terms of crafts, some universities will ask you to bring something along to your interview to demonstrate your manual dexterity - if you aren't particularly crafty I would perhaps identify and avoid these particular universities. We've been told that it's ok if we aren't overly good with our hands yet; it's a skill that will be taught to us over time, so I wouldn't necessarily get put off by this.
Good luck!

Haha sorry, only saw this now. Thanks for taking time out to help!

Quick Reply

Latest