The Student Room Group

Statistics

Reply 1

What is the probability that 1 egg weighs less than 49 grams? Call this probability pp. Then the probability that exactly three eggs weight less than 49 grams is P(X=3)\mathbb{P}(X = 3) where XB(6,p)X \sim \text{B}(6, p).
Reply 2
Original post by Zacken
What is the probability that 1 egg weighs less than 49 grams? Call this probability pp. Then the probability that exactly three eggs weight less than 49 grams is P(X=3)\mathbb{P}(X = 3) where XB(6,p)X \sim \text{B}(6, p).

Can i show what ive done first?
Reply 3
Original post by Ayaz789
Can i show what ive done first?

Why didn't you put that in the OP?
Reply 4
So ive done P(0>3Y-X)
3Y-X -N(54-50, 1.2^2 +2^2)
E(3Y-X)=(4,5.44)
Is that right so far?
Reply 5
Original post by Zacken
Why didn't you put that in the OP?

Because i think you have done it a different way to me
Reply 6
Original post by Ayaz789
So ive done P(0>3Y-X)
3Y-X -N(54-50, 1.2^2 +2^2)
E(3Y-X)=(4,5.44)
Is that right so far?

Ah, my bad - I was answering (a) (ii) instead.

What you've done is fine - yes (except check your variance! It's wrong). Although I have no clue why you're finding E(3Y-X) in the last line.

So you have (I'll call it W to make it more obvious) 3YX=WN(4,variance)3Y - X = W \sim N(4, \text{variance}) and you want P(3YX<0)=P(W<0)\mathbb{P}(3Y-X < 0) = \mathbb{P}(W < 0).

Well, that's a simple normal distribution problem now. Can you see what to do from here?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Zacken
Ah, my bad - I was answering (a) (ii) instead.

What you've done is fine - yes. Although I have no clue why you're finding E(3Y-X) in the last line.

So you have (I'll call it W to make it more obvious) 3YX=WN(4,1.22+22)3Y - X = W \sim N(4, 1.2^2 + 2^2) and you want P(3YX<0)=P(W<0)\mathbb{P}(3Y-X < 0) = \mathbb{P}(W < 0).

Well, that's a simple normal distribution problem now. Can you see what to do from here?

The thing is in the mark scheme it says E(3Y-X)= (4,16.96) Where do they get 16.96 from? And do you use z=x-mean/ (standard deviation)
Reply 8
Original post by Ayaz789
The thing is in the mark scheme it says E(3Y-X)= (4,16.96) Where do they get 16.96 from? And do you use z=x-mean/ (standard deviation)

If it says that, then it's wrong. E(3YX)=3E(Y)E(X)=4E(3Y-X) = 3E(Y) - E(X) = 4

Unparseable latex formula:

\text{Var}(3Y-X) = \text{Var}(3Y) + \text{Var}(X) = 9\text{Var}(Y) + \tetx{Var}(X) = 16.96

So WN(4,19.69)W \sim N(4, 19.69). Then yeah, use z = x - mean / standard dev.
Reply 9
Original post by Zacken
If it says that, then it's wrong. E(3YX)=3E(Y)E(X)=4E(3Y-X) = 3E(Y) - E(X) = 4

Unparseable latex formula:

\text{Var}(3Y-X) = \text{Var}(3Y) + \text{Var}(X) = 9\text{Var}(Y) + \tetx{Var}(X) = 16.96

So WN(4,19.69)W \sim N(4, 19.69). Then yeah, use z = x - mean / standard dev.

Okay thanks
Reply 10
Original post by Ayaz789
Okay thanks

Sure.

Quick Reply

Latest