The Student Room Group

Girl just broke up with her bf, should I make a move?

This girl that I've known for a few years recently broke up with her now ex-boyfriend. They were together for 7 years.

Is it too soon to try to make a move on her? She's a nice girl and we have been friends for a while.

Should I wait it out a few more weeks or do something now?

Scroll to see replies

Wait it out until she says something back
It's a bit too soon if you want a relationship - you'd just be the rebound. Give it a bit of time so she can get over it - losing a boyfriend of 7 years is going to take a hit on her as it's a big part of her life. Stay friendly and offer your support and comfort, and when it seems as if she's moved on, then ask her on a date.
Wait so that somebody else takes the lead? Go for it
Depends what you want. Seven years is not soemthing you get past easily. If you are ok with being rebound then go for it. A few weeks is going to make no difference.
Original post by 999tigger
Depends what you want. Seven years is not soemthing you get past easily. If you are ok with being rebound then go for it. A few weeks is going to make no difference.

It is,somebody else will take the 'rebound' and if she likes him then OP is beaten
Get in whilst the meats fresh and succulent

Predators Gotta pounce whilst they are vulnerable
Original post by RoyalMarine
It is,somebody else will take the 'rebound' and if she likes him then OP is beaten

Care to explain that again?
Original post by Anonymous
This girl that I've known for a few yearsT recently broke up with her now ex-boyfriend. They were together for 7 years.

Is it too soon to try to make a move on her? She's a nice girl and we have been friends for a while.

Should I wait it out a few more weeks or do something now?

You're most likely already in the friendzone it's best to leave it at that. Also you don't want to become a rebound either so at least wait sometime before you try it on.
I Would not rush into anything with her, she is more than likely to be hurting after the break up.
People dont get over 7 year relationships just by waiting a few weeks.
Reply 12
Test the water, but I would be inclined to give it a go, before someone else gets in ahead of you.
Too soon. You'll risk being a rebound.
Care to explain that again?

if he waits somebody else takes his place. This new guy may be a 'rebound' but if she likes him then they could get engaged and the OP is left out
Is she beautiful?If yes there are scores of guys who are ready to jump in. If he waits he'll be overtaken
Original post by RoyalMarine
if he waits somebody else takes his place. This new guy may be a 'rebound' but if she likes him then they could get engaged and the OP is left out

So for you the chance of her getting engaged to someone she meets in the first few weeks is greater than the risk of them being a rebound from a seven year relationship. Extraordinary.
So for you the chance of her getting engaged to someone she meets in the first few weeks is greater than the risk of them being a rebound from a seven year relationship. Extraordinary.

It's perfectly possible,I know examples of this
Reply 18
Original post by Betelgeuse-
Get in whilst the meats fresh and succulent

Predators Gotta pounce whilst they are vulnerable

Nice
Reply 19
It's a bit soon but if you wait as others have said there's a risk someone else will try and succeed. A few weeks isn't gonna make a difference so I'd say go for it. But she's likely to tell you 'I don't want a relationship right now'.

Quick Reply