The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Pepare questions, don't be nevous, dress well, be nice and confident etc etc you've heard them all millions of times before.
Reply 2
james101
I know this is in the wrong forum but i really need some advice. I have an interview this week and i am desperate to get a job so i need some advice. Anyone got any tips on how to impress them and things to say etc.

Thanks

Come on dude its a summer job. Youre gonna be earning £5 an hour not 70k a year. Just go in, answer their questions. They wont be particularly taxing..
Reply 3
When you sit down, alter the position of the chair slightly. The interviewers probably won't consciously notice it, but little things make a big difference. It helps to show that you are confident and can take control and initiative, that you're not just someone who who sit wherever you are put and be a subservient, scared little person.
james101
I know this is in the wrong forum but i really need some advice. I have an interview this week and i am desperate to get a job so i need some advice. Anyone got any tips on how to impress them and things to say etc.

Thanks

be confidnet.. remember eye contact - its the msot important thing..and predict what they will want to hear.. customer service focussed.. polite etc.. and be smart and clean shoes and hair!
Reply 5
They're bound to ask you an harrassment/bullying question - say you would intervene if you suspected something going on. And you'll probably get a health and safety question - say everyone is responsible for their own and others h&s issues, you can take it upon yourself to have regular breaks away from computer screens, push your chair under and report anything major to your line manager...Good luck with your interview... :smile:
Reply 6
its not a summer job its a part time job that is why i need to do well in the interview.
Reply 7
what should you do if your looking at the person in the eye when they are talking to you and you feel uncomfortable i normally look down or nod my head when they say something and then look back at them, what should i do? If i dont look at them when they are talking to me it looks rude.
Reply 8
james101
what should you do if your looking at the person in the eye when they are talking to you and you feel uncomfortable

then wink to her, if it's a woman :cool:
Reply 9
james101
what should you do if your looking at the person in the eye when they are talking to you and you feel uncomfortable i normally look down or nod my head when they say something and then look back at them, what should i do? If i dont look at them when they are talking to me it looks rude.

Most of them time theyll have something in their hands, if they start writing or something look at that, it can provide some temporary relief. Also, some questions might require a little think, you can generally break eye contact whilst thinking of what to say after a question..
Reply 10
yeah i think i will do that, i also have a group interview thing doing group activities. How can i show that i am outgoing etc. when there are loads of other people in the group?
Group works about being social, teamwork and putting your ideas across well, not about bieng outgoing really.
Reply 12
yeah thats what i meant, i did a group thing like this a few weeks ago at a different shop and they didnt employ me, i had a person in my group who was trying to take control etc. so it was hard to get a word in.
Don't sit back and let them take control, put your word in as well.
Reply 14
ok i will try. For my interview how can i sound interesting, i think i know how but im not sure if they would think its good.

If they ask me to tell them a little bit about my self, i would say something like.

I like playing different sports, i use to be in a football team and met lots of friends there, i am currently studying ICT (computers) at college and i hope to go to university after i finish the course. I also hope to have a career in ICT in the future. I like to go to the cinema with my friends. I am currently looking for a part time job so that when i am not at college i can be working and making money.

Something like that, what you think?
james101
I like playing different sports, i use to be in a football team and met lots of friends there, i am currently studying ICT (computers) at college and i hope to go to university after i finish the course. I also hope to have a career in ICT in the future. I like to go to the cinema with my friends. I am currently looking for a part time job so that when i am not at college i can be working and making money.

*Thumbs up* That would be fine. :smile:
Reply 16
maybe you shouldn't say you want a job to make money...but instead to learn more and get more experience...but its up to you. :smile:
Reply 17
and for why i would be the right choice to work there.

I am hard working and always try my hardest, i am helpful, kind and polite and would get on well with customers. I would always try and get to work early because i would be grateful to have a job and know how hard it is to get a job. I work well in a team and enjoy helping people.

Something like that, im not sure about turning up early, sounds a little desperate?
Reply 18
?
Reply 19
james101

i know its really hard to do this, but try to act cool/calm in the interview. The interviewers will know that you, like everyone else, will be nervous so it doesnt really matter if you have a few "odd" moments. i was lucky in my interview because for the first couple of minutes he asked me to do the "what do u normally do?" speech. So i just talked about the footie, music films and usual stuff.

main thing is to try and feel at ease as quickly as possible so you appear to be confident. and even if you know you are messing up, just take a few seconds out and try repeating what you wanted to originally say.

good luck with it anyway

Latest

Trending

Trending