The Student Room Group

Is transsexuality a mental disorder?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by paul514
No, it's literally all cognition based

Posted from TSR Mobile

So then why do you dispute it...? Not that you shouldn't but if the assosciation that acredits your psychology degree says it is this why do you disagree? Genuinely curious.
Original post by JC.
Yes it clearly is.
What I can't understand is the current attitude of indulging the afflicted in their disorder rather than treating it.
I don't for a moment think that butchering genitalia constitutes "treatment". Infact it's akin to offering a pika sufferer a lightbulb or a paperclip to munch on.

Well it "clearly" isn't hence why it hasn't actually been defined as such by the BPA or any UK Medical Institutions etc. etc. I'm glad you think you know better than experts on gender, sexuality and mental health.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ivybridge
Well it "clearly" isn't hence why it hasn't actually been defined as such by the BPA or any UK Medical Institutions etc. etc. I'm glad you think you know better than experts on gender, sexuality and mental health.

It's the bps

Posted from TSR Mobile
So then why do you dispute it...? Not that you shouldn't but if the assosciation that acredits your psychology degree says it is this why do you disagree? Genuinely curious.

What am I disputing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Give back foreigners what was stolen by the British Empire
Original post by Three Mile Sprint
Almost certainly, but some disorders it is not wise to "treat" in the sense of changing them or "fixing them" but it to allow them to best adapt to their mental state.

For the record I do think Homosexuality is a dis-order as well, but that doesn't mean it's "bad" just that it is a deviation from the norm.

I'm pretty sure that a disorder is something that not only deviates from the norm, but also causes suffering and interference with day to day life, or the lives of those around you. As far as I'm aware, homosexuality no longer does that in our country. It's no longer a large deviation from the norm either.
Original post by DIN-NARYU-FARORE

How drunk are you?
Original post by Twinpeaks
I'm pretty sure that a disorder is something that not only deviates from the norm, but also causes suffering and interference with day to day life, or the lives of those around you. As far as I'm aware, homosexuality no longer does that in our country. It's no longer a large deviation from the norm either.

People use mental health disorder/mental health problem/mental health condition inter changeably

It doesn't change the point they are making

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DIN-NARYU-FARORE

With each post you make you look less, I was going to say intelligent but I think I will go with sane

Posted from TSR Mobile
Depression is a mental illness. Bipolar disorder is a mental illness. Labeling transsexuals with mental disorder is identifying the problem. It's the Sigma of mental illness in society that is harmful.

Plastic surgery does not sound like a permanent solution to confusion in the mind. It's the mind that's need help. If that person has an unhealthy mind state then changing physical parts are useless.

Labeling someone mentally ill or stating someone has a disorder is not putting them down. It just means they have an issue. Think of the word mental disorder. The transsexual is mentally out of order when he or she is convince they're the opposite sex when their body disagrees.

Some people have mental disorders and mental illness. How else are you going to help them? Pretend they're perfectly normal and encourage surgery to fix functional genitals? Over 30% of transgenders who do the surgeries commit suicide. Or is it always society fault?
(edited 7 years ago)
Already answered this.

No you didn't. It was very ignorant of you to say that.
Original post by Twinpeaks

I wasn't aware of the latter aspect of the definition

The Mariam Webster Medical definition doesn't give that.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/medical/disorder
Original post by paul514
People use mental health disorder/mental health problem/mental health condition inter changeably

It doesn't change the point they are making

Posted from TSR Mobile

So? What has that to do with my point? That doesn't change anything?
Original post by Three Mile Sprint
I wasn't aware of the latter aspect of the definition

The Mariam Webster Medical definition doesn't give that.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/medical/disorder

Oh so because a quick google tells you that you think you're right do you? :rofl:

First of all. No one cares about the Merriam Webster Medical definition. It's the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders that's is the bible for mental health professionals and academics.

As you may find if you do a bit more googling, that the definition of a mental health disorder is very complex. I find it interesting how you don't seem to think suffering is a requirement of a disorder? But anyway, here'a the DSM-5 definition.

"A mental disorder is a syndrome characterized by clinically significant disturbance in an individual's cognition, emotion regulation, or behavior that reflects a dysfunction in the psychological, biological, or developmental processes underlying mental functioning. Mental disorders are usually associated with significant distress in social, occupational, or other important activities. An expectable or culturally approved response to a common stressor or loss, such as the death of a loved one, is not a mental disorder. Socially deviant behavior (e.g., political, religious, or sexual) and conflicts that are primarily between the individual and society are not mental disorders unless the deviance or conflict results from a dysfunction in the individual, as described above."

Incidentally, I don't think it's important to put too much sway on the umbrella definition. Because of the great variety of disorders, what matters to clinicians is the individual definitions.
Original post by paul514
I do, it has many hallmarks of a disorder too.

One of the most interesting parts of studying psychology is how you classify mental conditions. It makes you think of all sorts of behaviour that can be classified as disorders yet isn't as it is seen as socially acceptable

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's very true. I know it's uncomfortable for many people to admit but even the NHS categorises gender dysphoria as a type of GID- gender identity disorder. However this doesn't mean that transsexuals should be discriminated against.
http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Gender-dysphoria/Pages/Introduction.aspx
Original post by cherryred90s
No you didn't. It was very ignorant of you to say that.

But I actually did. If you say so - except it wasn't.
But I actually did. If you say so - except it wasn't.

You said something about opinions, which did not answer my question.

I believe it was ignorant.
Original post by paul514
With each post you make you look less, I was going to say intelligent but I think I will go with sane

Posted from TSR Mobile

Gender is fluid and a sociological construct. sex is scientific.They are not linked. i see no reason why a dude with a dick cant identify with femininity and stereotypical characteristics of womanhood, if he was born pre disposed to having an affinity to those things . perharps if society wasnt so rigid on gender roles and everyone was allowed to be who they felt they were then transgender might not happen. nevertheless its not a mental problem

now return the Koh I Noor to its rightful place you imperial monster
Original post by TrueDetective01
How drunk are you?

They told me gin and tonic was basically water so i drank a bottle of it. Sue me
Reply 199

"Experts" once said the earth was flat...
They were wrong and so are you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending