The Student Room Group
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester

MMU Speech Pathology and Language 2016

Hiya, just wondering if there are any Speech Therapy students here who have firmed MMU?
Nice to meet you all, in advance!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi there,

I'm a current first year SPT student at MMU so if anyone has any questions about what you'll be studying or placements/assignments etc let me know. We're currently in the middle of exams and it's crazy how quickly this year has gone! It's a great course though :-)
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester
Reply 2
Original post by fabfabfab
Hiya, just wondering if there are any Speech Therapy students here who have firmed MMU?
Nice to meet you all, in advance!

Hey :smile: I've just this minute firmed MMU!! So excited. Going to get started registering for bursaries and accommodation tomorrow! Are you going into halls? :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by emma216
Hi there,

I'm a current first year SPT student at MMU so if anyone has any questions about what you'll be studying or placements/assignments etc let me know. We're currently in the middle of exams and it's crazy how quickly this year has gone! It's a great course though :-)

Hiya! What are the timetables like, are you in everyday? Etc.
Also, a question about finance. Is it normal to get a 2k maintenance loan if you are in an NHS funded course? It it because of the bursary you are given? I thought 2k was pretty low, so I want to make sure I'm in the same boat as everyone else. Also, how much is an NHS bursary? I'm trying to organise my finances, and I don't know if I'll be able to manage with accomodation.
Glad you're enjoying the course!
Reply 4
Original post by Sampantha
Hey :smile: I've just this minute firmed MMU!! So excited. Going to get started registering for bursaries and accommodation tomorrow! Are you going into halls? :smile:

Ahh, so exciting! I've registered for MMU halls, but I changed my mind and booked a private accomodation. It's not fancy, but it's a decent price for an en-suite. What halls were you looking into? :smile:
Reply 5
Hiya! What are the timetables like, are you in everyday? Etc.
Also, a question about finance. Is it normal to get a 2k maintenance loan if you are in an NHS funded course? It it because of the bursary you are given? I thought 2k was pretty low, so I want to make sure I'm in the same boat as everyone else. Also, how much is an NHS bursary? I'm trying to organise my finances, and I don't know if I'll be able to manage with accomodation.
Glad you're enjoying the course!

Hi there!

My NHS bursary is Β£3979 which comes in instalments of Β£330 each month around 15th-20th. With the maintenance loan I get Β£2324 but this is my second degree so I don't know how much others get or what the maintenance grant would be. I also work part time which most people on our course don't, but I can't afford not to!

The timetable is quite busy compared to other degrees. We are in Monday-Friday and each day usually have a 9am start. Monday, Tuesday and Thursday we are usually in until 5pm and Wednesday and Friday we finish at 12. Obviously that's just the general outline and it changes sometimes and there's usually breaks of 2 hours between 9-1 or similar.The core subjects in first year you do every week are: linguistics, phonetics, biological sciences, psychology/research methods, and then a module called Applications of Clinical Theory (ACT) where you do a different topic each week like aphasia or stuttering, assessments etc. Our exam on that is today so hoping all the last minute cramming of revision works!!! You also do a module now and then called Clinical Education where you learn about observation skills and so on. So there's a huge amount of variety and a lot to take in! It was all a bit overwhelming first, especially having been out of education for years, but you get into the routine and it's fine!

Right, exam time!

Emma
Reply 6
Original post by emma216
Hi there!

My NHS bursary is Β£3979 which comes in instalments of Β£330 each month around 15th-20th. With the maintenance loan I get Β£2324 but this is my second degree so I don't know how much others get or what the maintenance grant would be. I also work part time which most people on our course don't, but I can't afford not to!

The timetable is quite busy compared to other degrees. We are in Monday-Friday and each day usually have a 9am start. Monday, Tuesday and Thursday we are usually in until 5pm and Wednesday and Friday we finish at 12. Obviously that's just the general outline and it changes sometimes and there's usually breaks of 2 hours between 9-1 or similar.The core subjects in first year you do every week are: linguistics, phonetics, biological sciences, psychology/research methods, and then a module called Applications of Clinical Theory (ACT) where you do a different topic each week like aphasia or stuttering, assessments etc. Our exam on that is today so hoping all the last minute cramming of revision works!!! You also do a module now and then called Clinical Education where you learn about observation skills and so on. So there's a huge amount of variety and a lot to take in! It was all a bit overwhelming first, especially having been out of education for years, but you get into the routine and it's fine!

Right, exam time!

Emma

Yes, my maintenance loan is around that amount! I'm also thinking of working part-time, may I ask what kind of job do you have? As I'm thinking of find a retail job.

The course sounds jam packed, but exciting! Best of luck in your exams!
Reply 7
Thanks! Today's exam was a seen exam meaning we were given the questions 2 weeks ago and had to construct and memorise three essays and write them out today. We're all glad that's over!

I work as a support worker about 15 hours a week, I'm also married and have a stepdaughter and help my husband run a business, so it is possible to fit in a lot round the course!
Reply 8
Original post by emma216
Thanks! Today's exam was a seen exam meaning we were given the questions 2 weeks ago and had to construct and memorise three essays and write them out today. We're all glad that's over!

I work as a support worker about 15 hours a week, I'm also married and have a stepdaughter and help my husband run a business, so it is possible to fit in a lot round the course!

Sounds interesting, but the memorising THREE essays is starting to scare me aha! Good luck again, you hard work will pay off!

That gives me relief. I was a little skeptical if I should work as the course is so demanding. Thank you!
Reply 9
Sounds interesting, but the memorising THREE essays is starting to scare me aha! Good luck again, you hard work will pay off!

That gives me relief. I was a little skeptical if I should work as the course is so demanding. Thank you!

Don't worry, most people just learnt bullet points for the three questions and turned that into an essay, but I found it easier just learning it all for some reason! 3 exams down now and only 2 to go!

The course is quite quiet until March, when you have various deadlines to hand in, but again it's completely fine. We have 40 people in our year (all women) and a big mix of people from 18 year olds to 20-something's to people in their late 40s and above. Quite a few have small children, so working a few hours a week part-time is definitely possible!
Ahh, so exciting! I've registered for MMU halls, but I changed my mind and booked a private accomodation. It's not fancy, but it's a decent price for an en-suite. What halls were you looking into? :smile:

Hey :smile: I'm thinking Birley halls just because of how close they are to our building! Which private halls are you in? I haven't really explored the private option yet!
Reply 11
Original post by Sampantha
Hey :smile: I'm thinking Birley halls just because of how close they are to our building! Which private halls are you in? I haven't really explored the private option yet!

Sorry for the late reply! Birley looks lovely, and I've heard is good for healthcare students.
I've booked MSV South, not the best of places. But it's decently price for an en-suite, which is my main thing :colondollar:
Reply 12
Original post by emma216
Don't worry, most people just learnt bullet points for the three questions and turned that into an essay, but I found it easier just learning it all for some reason! 3 exams down now and only 2 to go!

The course is quite quiet until March, when you have various deadlines to hand in, but again it's completely fine. We have 40 people in our year (all women) and a big mix of people from 18 year olds to 20-something's to people in their late 40s and above. Quite a few have small children, so working a few hours a week part-time is definitely possible!

Good luck on the other 2 exams/hope they went well, if you've done them!

I'm glad there's an age mix in your intake, it'll be nice to meet other students with different backgrounds and experiences in the course. Also, might be a silly question but how long is the course again? I was assuming it was 39 weeks. But from my extra weeks allowance in my NHS bursary letter it states 34 weeks. Just making sure that 34 weeks is correct.
Reply 13
Good luck on the other 2 exams/hope they went well, if you've done them!

I'm glad there's an age mix in your intake, it'll be nice to meet other students with different backgrounds and experiences in the course. Also, might be a silly question but how long is the course again? I was assuming it was 39 weeks. But from my extra weeks allowance in my NHS bursary letter it states 34 weeks. Just making sure that 34 weeks is correct.

My NHS letter says 238 days, however many weeks that is! We started around 21st September and we finish June 24th, if you can be bothered to work out how long that is? I'm only just coming out of work and my brain is too tired to think :frown:
Reply 14
Hi, MMU is my firm choice for september :smile: nice to meet you all :smile: I was wondering if anyone knows how we do placements in the first year - are you going out into placement one day a week or is it more in blocks? good luck with exams everyone!
Reply 15
Original post by Lamb01
Hi, MMU is my firm choice for september :smile: nice to meet you all :smile: I was wondering if anyone knows how we do placements in the first year - are you going out into placement one day a week or is it more in blocks? good luck with exams everyone!

Hi there,

In first year you do three placements. You do a 5 day one in November in a nursery/reception class and in that one you study one specific child and collect data for a project you do later on in the year. Then in Feb you do a 3 day placement in a secondary school, focusing on SEN but again just observing. And then we are about to go on our first clinical placement for 5 days in about 2 weeks time, where we will be shadowing an SaLT. That can either be working with adults/kids or anything that you get given :smile:

Hope that helps!
Reply 16
Original post by emma216
Hi there,

In first year you do three placements. You do a 5 day one in November in a nursery/reception class and in that one you study one specific child and collect data for a project you do later on in the year. Then in Feb you do a 3 day placement in a secondary school, focusing on SEN but again just observing. And then we are about to go on our first clinical placement for 5 days in about 2 weeks time, where we will be shadowing an SaLT. That can either be working with adults/kids or anything that you get given :smile:

Hope that helps!

Hi, thanks so much! It so nice to hear from people who are already studying on the course :smile: are all your exams those seen ones? Or do you have some that are different? I hope that theyre going ok!
Reply 17
Original post by Lamb01
Hi, thanks so much! It so nice to hear from people who are already studying on the course :smile: are all your exams those seen ones? Or do you have some that are different? I hope that theyre going ok!

They finished a few weeks ago thankfully! So now we're in for post-exam teaching and then finish the second last week of June after placement.

There is one seen exam, Applications of Clinical Theory (so stuttering/aphasia/voice/assessments/motor speech etc), which consists of writing 3 essays out of choice of 5 questions you are given 2 weeks before the exam. The other exams are a 60 mutiple choice biological sciences exam, a phonetics exam and a linguistics exam. You also do something called a Viva in late April you make a recording of you reading a story to a child and then you have a 30 minute oral interview/exam on the interaction, that counts for 70% of your Clinical Education module.

And then you have coursework but it's not too bad in first year. The only ones that matter, the summative pieces, are due in March (about 4 at around the same time), and then you have a portfolio due in after exams.

So it's a busy course compared to others but it's worth it!
Hey :smile: I start at MMU in Sept and will be commuting into Manchester - do you know of anywhere to park near the birley campus at all? I'm struggling at the University has said they don't offer permits. Thanks!
Reply 19
Original post by stella04x
Hey :smile: I start at MMU in Sept and will be commuting into Manchester - do you know of anywhere to park near the birley campus at all? I'm struggling at the University has said they don't offer permits. Thanks!

Hey,

My friend that drives to you said she rents a space nearby through Justpark.com but said there are others too such as parkonmydrive? There are also some back streets nearby which others park on for a few hours/the day!

Quick Reply

Latest