The Student Room Group

Subletting....

So...I'm a little confused

I want to rent a house (2 bed terraced house) somewhere close to central (maybe zone 4). There are many houses in London, that are 2 bed houses for about £300 p/w excl bills. Now...is to my landlord and be liable for the full £300 p/w but sublet the other room. Can I do this? I have heard you have to have written permission from your landlord to allow this. So how should I go about on searching for properties? When I ring up the estate agent should I tell them my plan of subletting one of the rooms?
Original post by ThinkPossitive
So...I'm a little confused

I want to rent a house (2 bed terraced house) somewhere close to central (maybe zone 4). There are many houses in London, that are 2 bed houses for about £300 p/w excl bills. Now...is to my landlord and be liable for the full £300 p/w but sublet the other room. Can I do this? I have heard you have to have written permission from your landlord to allow this. So how should I go about on searching for properties? When I ring up the estate agent should I tell them my plan of subletting one of the rooms?

Subletting is generally not allowed under most tenancy agreements so look for a roommate and find somewhere together instead.
Original post by claireestelle
Subletting is generally not allowed under most tenancy agreements so look for a roommate and find somewhere together instead.

Well...the reason I want to sublet is in-case I don't get on with the other room mate i.e. playing loud music. Subletting will enable me/other person to set clear conditions in which we are both happy with...
Original post by ThinkPossitive
Well...the reason I want to sublet is in-case I don't get on with the other room mate i.e. playing loud music. Subletting will enable me/other person to set clear conditions in which we are both happy with...

Some tenancy agreements have nuisance clauses specifically for that reason. I've not heard of many estate agents allowing subletting so i wouldnt bank on it being possible.
I don't know how it works, but you may have to consider paying tax on income coming from subletting also.

(as I said, I don't know, but it's something to consider, maybe someone on here can enlighten as to that..)

I reckon you'd be better off finding someone to move with and getting to know them beforehand (ie both of you sitting down and discussing what you would want behaviourwise from the other, so you know what you're both expecting from eachother).
I doubt anyone would be happy with that. The landlord will probably want to have control over who lives in the house. Also, bear in mind that if you were the only person with a contract you would be liable for any damage caused by your subletter (and even if they seem nice something could happen accidentally).

Quick Reply

Latest