Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Uni with no A-levels

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016
REMINDER: Do not post your personal statement on TSR, otherwise you may have to rewrite it from scratch. Click here for more info. 11-10-2016
    • Thread Starter

    Hi guys,

    So heres the situation, i was home schooled for a fair while then went to college and got a First diploma in IT (4 gcse's A-C iirc). I then went on to study a national diploma in Games Dev which sadly i had to drop out of pretty near the end due to family issues and managed to not even get a National Certificate out of it. So i think that was essentially a waste of 2 years.

    So i am now 23, officially have no a-levels or equivalents, and really wanna go to university to study Interaction/Communication Design or something similar.

    I'll be honest i'd rather avoid a lengthy/expensive AccessHE course as the colleges round here tend to be pretty far away, or they dont offer access courses.

    does anyone have any suggestions for unis that are more loose on the admissions policy and also how do i go about getting in touch now i'm no longer in any way attached to ucas.

    Thanks in advance for your advice

    Hi Sam,

    Yes, I do! I'm 15, and currently enrolled on a course with OU. I'd really recommend them (although you don't actually go to Uni, it's all done through books/online stuff). I've been enrolled for a few months, been really interesting so far, and when I signed up I didn't even have any GCSEs. You may have to do an entrance exam, but it's relatively easy, you should look into it and maybe give 'em a ring!
    Hope this helps

    do an apprenticeship , then ask your company if they will be willing to financially help you do a uni course......or ask them before you do the apprenticeship.
    there are companies that offer the choice of studing a course at uni for some apprentices...phone them .

    You can try and see if there's any relevant courses with Open University, you don't need to apply through UCAS or you could do a foundation degree

    Posted from TSR Mobile

    You could also look into A Levels via correspondence.

    Look into a foundation year

    Posted from TSR Mobile

    Click here to see your options: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3401311

    If I were you I would wait until you're 24, do an Access course (and use the 24+ loan to pay for it), that loan is written off once you have graduated from university.
Write a reply…


Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 30, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.