The Student Room Group

Craziest thing to happen in your first year?

In my first year at uni we were told to stay inside our house just off campus because a gun man was randomly shooting people. Then two weeks later, another gun man was shooting people from a tower block and we had to hide behind a wall.

Needless to say, we didn't tell our parents this had happened.

Scroll to see replies

I had a guy who was really creepy, verging on stalking me. He wanted me to be his girlfriend and was just incredibly forward and pushy and a bit batshit crazy tbh.

What made it even more weird was that he's anti-immigration and I was like "have you noticed my skin colour?!?!" :erm:

Thankfully got rid of him after a term, before any uni authorities had to get involved :redface:
Well... I don't have anything to match your stories :lol:

Spoiler

Original post by Lord Samosa

Spoiler

:lolwut:
:rofl:
Someone did a poop on the middle of the dancefloor in the SU :zomg:
Oh and there was a time where we were given literally 36 hours to research/read for and write an essay. Except the essay had no reading list or title :lolwut: When we asked the tutor for guidance, he said "oh just research on your favourite area of French Baroque music!" Coz clearly we all knew **** about French Baroque music enough to have chosen a favourite area to potentially research :nothing:

When we complained to our main college tutor, his response was "oh well you know, TLG, we DID warn you about this at interview!"

No you ****ing didn't, Robert :mad:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Oh and there was a time where we were given literally 36 hours to research/read for and write an essay. Except the essay had no reading list or title :lolwut: When we asked the tutor for guidance, he said "oh just research on your favourite area of French Baroque music!" Coz clearly we all knew **** about French Baroque music enough to have chosen a favourite area to potentially research :nothing:

When we complained to our main college tutor, his response was "oh well you know, TLG, we DID warn you about this at interview!"

No you ****ing didn't, Robert :mad:

How did you do?
I had a guy who was really creepy, verging on stalking me. He wanted me to be his girlfriend and was just incredibly forward and pushy and a bit batshit crazy tbh.

What made it even more weird was that he's anti-immigration and I was like "have you noticed my skin colour?!?!" :erm:

Thankfully got rid of him after a term, before any uni authorities had to get involved :redface:

Yikes. Well got rid of!
Original post by Blondie987
How did you do?

No idea - it was one of our weekly tutorial essays and very few tutors gave a grade for those. If I did get a grade, it was probably a 2.1 but I suspect it just had comments and went ungraded...
No idea - it was one of our weekly tutorial essays and very few tutors gave a grade for those. If I did get a grade, it was probably a 2.1 but I suspect it just had comments and went ungraded...

What subject are you studying, Music, French or something else?
Original post by Des_Lumières
What subject are you studying, Music, French or something else?

All my degrees are in music :musicus:
Original post by Captain Jack
In my first year at uni we were told to stay inside our house just off campus because a gun man was randomly shooting people. Then two weeks later, another gun man was shooting people from a tower block and we had to hide behind a wall.

That's terrible. Are you in London?
All my degrees are in music :musicus:

Very cool, shame about the overnight essay. I guess it's good practice for *all* eventualities.
Original post by Puddles the Monkey

Was there 'Murder on the Dancefloor' once it was discovered?! :headfire:

(Sorry couldn't resist :getmecoat: )
Very cool, shame about the overnight essay. I guess it's good practice for *all* eventualities.

Indeed! I can write a lot of words to a very high standard in a very short space of time :smartass:
That's terrible. Are you in London?

I was on the outskirts but it was over a decade ago and it can happen anywhere.
Reply 16
Original post by Lord Samosa

Spoiler

Drunk?

Spoiler

Original post by M14B
Drunk?

Spoiler

I didn't take my religion seriously during my uni days :redface:
Original post by Captain Jack

Ok, obviously it must have been scary, but at the same time, so ****ing exciting... and a pretty cool story to tell... :biggrin:
Original post by Puddles the Monkey

Worth about 50 lad points...

I can't think of anything particularly crazy tbh... One thing which was just stupid was when our SU banned sombreros that were being handed out at our fresher's fair because they thought it would offend people... :confused:
Reply 19

Omg.:tongue: Similar thing happened to me. There was a guy following me from one campus to another (20 mins away from each other). I think he was an older student. He sat opposite me on the bus and gave me the creepiest looks. I was so freaked out.

He then proceeded to follow me to my accommodation and was pestering me to let him inside.:s-smilie: Thankfully it was during the day and there were quite a few people walking around. He left me alone eventually. I kinda opened the door and entered quickly then ran upstairs to my room. Would have been scary to happen at night!

Quick Reply

Latest