The Student Room Group

Missed out on PGCE entry 2016, should i be a teaching assistant for a year?

So basically I graduated from uni with a biology degree in July 2015. After I finished uni I had no idea what career I was going to pursue. I have long been considering going into teaching, in particular, primary teaching. However, I kept finding myself questioning whether it was the right career for me and I ended up putting it off. So i missed the primary PGCE application deadline for September 2016 entry. I now have to wait another year (until September 2017) until I am able to start a course.

So... I have been thinking it would be a good idea to work as a teaching assistant for a year to bridge the gap and also gain some valuable experience working with primary school children. I have been looking into teaching assistant vacancies but many, if not all, I have seen advertised in my local area require some form of teaching assistant qualification, and/or previous experience working as a teaching assistant.

I'm wondering if there are opportunities out there for a graduate teaching assistant and if anyone knows where I can find these? Has anyone else found themselves in my situation and gone on to work as a graduate teaching assistant for a year or so?

Thank you in advance!!
Original post by amy3001
So basically I graduated from uni with a biology degree in July 2015. After I finished uni I had no idea what career I was going to pursue. I have long been considering going into teaching, in particular, primary teaching. However, I kept finding myself questioning whether it was the right career for me and I ended up putting it off. So i missed the primary PGCE application deadline for September 2016 entry. I now have to wait another year (until September 2017) until I am able to start a course.

So... I have been thinking it would be a good idea to work as a teaching assistant for a year to bridge the gap and also gain some valuable experience working with primary school children. I have been looking into teaching assistant vacancies but many, if not all, I have seen advertised in my local area require some form of teaching assistant qualification, and/or previous experience working as a teaching assistant.

I'm wondering if there are opportunities out there for a graduate teaching assistant and if anyone knows where I can find these? Has anyone else found themselves in my situation and gone on to work as a graduate teaching assistant for a year or so?

Thank you in advance!!

I know people who have, not sure how they got the positions so I can't be of specific help to you I'm afraid. However if you post in the PGCE application sub forum on here you'll probably find at least a few current PGCE/NQT's around there who worked as TA's first who can help you.
Volunteer first, then you'll have experience to apply for paid positions.

Or sign up to an agency and do day-to-day cover, or apply for Mentor/Cover Supervisor positions.
Reply 3
I currently volunteer at a primary school for one or two days a week to help with my application. Volunteering at first will help you. After a good few months, apply for a teaching assistant role and see where you get with that.
I got in for 2016 entry but if I hadn't this would have been my plan. I've seen a few ads for graduate teaching assistant vacancies where you work for them for a year as a TA then you're expected to progress onto their School Direct route. I'm not sure where you are but the ads I've seen are in London and Sheffield. I can send you the details if you would like.
Reply 5
I've been working as a TA this year after graduating and I'm about to start my teacher training in September. I'd definitely recommend it, it's been such useful preparation and I feel like I know what I'm letting myself in for a lot more than I would have done just going straight into it. I've even had the chance to teach a couple of lessons this year and I've learned so much from the teachers I've worked with, so I'd say go for it.

I also think if you end up being a teacher, it'll be really useful to have been a TA for a year because you'll appreciate/understand the role of TAs a lot more so you'll hopefully be able to work better with them, and you'll have a better understanding of how to work with SEN and get the best out of every student.

Quick Reply

Latest