The Student Room Group
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University

How to deal with flatmates that just don't clean

I live with 3 other students, and every single one of them is too lazy to clean.
Tried speaking to them about it nicely, tried nagging when that failed. Tried implementing a rota, that's failed as they just ignore it.
Tried leaving things, unfortunately, they literally will not touch the kitchen, even when it stinks so bad it goes through the house. They moan, but refuse to clean because they know I can't survive in a house that stinks of rubbish for long.
I've tried speaking to the letting agency, who've spoken to them about it but they just ignore them. I'm literally at my wits end here, I can't carry on having to spend several hours of my life cleaning the entire house when I'm barely even in the house. Anyone got any ideas on how to jump start their lazy arses?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by TanyaTable
I live with 3 other students, and every single one of them is too lazy to clean.
Tried speaking to them about it nicely, tried nagging when that failed. Tried implementing a rota, that's failed as they just ignore it.
Tried leaving things, unfortunately, they literally will not touch the kitchen, even when it stinks so bad it goes through the house. They moan, but refuse to clean because they know I can't survive in a house that stinks of rubbish for long.
I've tried speaking to the letting agency, who've spoken to them about it but they just ignore them. I'm literally at my wits end here, I can't carry on having to spend several hours of my life cleaning the entire house when I'm barely even in the house. Anyone got any ideas on how to jump start their lazy arses?

Hire a cleaner and share the cost?
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University
Cleaner is one option but it will be expensive as the task seems a bit more than a few hours a week. Unfortunately OP I dont think you can make them change. Ask the letting agency to do inspections and they may be shamed into doing something. it also pits their deposits at risk.

Do not waste time doing their cleaning.

If you start taking action then you risk really falling out with them, so think it through. You may need to move out. next year if you share then you know what to make a priority.

Have a **** right outside their door during the night and put a note next to it saying "part 1"
Reply 4
If they have not bothered already then it is likely they will not change. It's a bummer for you but if they know you will do it then they are not likely to change their lazy selfish ways.
I have a friend in a similar situation who shares a house with two other guys. My friend reluctantly ends up doing it all as the other two are lazy ignorant gits too.
I know it's not ideal but as a previous poster said maybe it's an option to move.
Hope things get better for you ❤️
Reply 5
Get it clean and then ensure everyone has got 1 cup, 1 spoon, 1 knife, 1 plate etc... each. Place the rest in a box and hide it in the loft / the shed / your car etc...

That was my solution.
If they complain just tell them "you've made your decision and that's what's happening".
They can only make 1 meals worth of mess before having to clean up this way.
Make sure you keep your own set of dishes in your room - dirty bastards will nick them and use them!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by JC.
Get it clean and then ensure everyone has got 1 cup, 1 spoon, 1 knife, 1 plate etc... each. Place the rest in a box and hide it in the loft / the shed / your car etc...

That was my solution.
If they complain just tell them "you've made your decision and that's what's happening".
Make sure you keep your own set of dishes in your room - dirty bastards will nick them and use them!

You can make a place a tip without dirty crockery. She's not their mum.
Good for you if it worked.
clean for them
Original post by ilovecookees
clean for them

She already is.
Reply 9
If i were you, I would gather them all around a table or something and explain the situation to them. Tell them how its affecting you and the changes that need to be made. Maybe devise a cleaning schedule. Tell them that if they dont stick to it, you will have to inform the accommodation people/landlord.
Reply 10
Original post by 999tigger
You can make a place a tip without dirty crockery. She's not their mum.
Good for you if it worked.

Agreed,

But you've eliminated the mountains of dirty plates which is a step in the right direction isn't it?
Original post by JC.
Agreed,

But you've eliminated the mountains of dirty plates which is a step in the right direction isn't it?

Its a start. You just dont know the reaction of the others and whether they see it as a game to thwart you, whether they get angry or whether they realise he error of their ways. Imo thye are more likely to take the path of least resistance and just go round. All depends on personalities though.
Reply 12
Original post by Random2
If i were you, i would gather them all around a table or something and explain the situation to them. Tell them how its affecting you and the changes that need to happen. Maybe devise a cleaning rota. Tell them that if they dont stick to it, you will have to inform the accommodation people/landlord.

I've tried all 3 things, even going and speaking to the letting agency. The letting agency say they'll "have a word", and that's it. They do monthly inspections of the communal areas, but if I don't clean I get "this place needs a good clean it's disgusting", or if I clean, they're happy and leave us alone.

I refuse to carry on cleaning for them, I just don't have the time or the patience. At that point where I'm tempted just to start chucking plates etc in the bin. I already do it if they're too mouldy, but might just start doing it anyway until they realise I'm not cleaning up their **** anymore. But again, I don't want to cause a massive falling out because I do like them, they're awesome people, they just have no concept of cleanliness.

We've already signed the tenancy for next year though unfortunately so I'm stuck here.
Reply 13
Original post by 999tigger
Its a start. You just dont know the reaction of the others and whether they see it as a game to thwart you, whether they get angry or whether they realise he error of their ways. Imo thye are more likely to take the path of least resistance and just go round. All depends on personalities though.

With one plate each they'll soon start turning on each other.
You could then take it to the next level and let 'em share 2 of everything between 3.

To withdraw from it entirely the next move is buying a large chopping board, a small chopping board, a camping stove and a washing up bowl. You never need to go near a comunal kitchen then as you can prepare and cook in your own room.

Losing a few battles is fine, it's winning the war that counts. :wink:
(edited 7 years ago)
I'd get a few clear plastic boxes (with lids) and label them with each persons name, pop on the kitchen counter, every time a dirty plate / mug / cutlery / whatevs is left out, pop it in whoevers it is box. Put the lid on. Contains the stank (also it'll be pretty nasty smelling when the box is opened each time, so might make them clean rather than have to go through that every time), clears the sink, might kick start them.. Equally it might not..

But having lived with dirty kitchen / house people in my first year, I do feel for you..
I agree with separating your belongings from them. If they don't wash the dishes, don't let them use your clean dishes.

If you want to be more extreme (and beware this may create a flatmate fight) leave their dirty plates on top of their bed/potentially even the bin they didn't take out on top of their bed too.

Insist that they either start to clean or pitch in for a cleaner. You would be surprised the difference 2 hours of a good cleaner can be in a week and it's not that much £ if you share it with your flatmates.

Good luck! I hope a clean future wil come to you :biggrin:
I agree with separating your belongings from them. If they don't wash the dishes, don't let them use your clean dishes.

If you want to be more extreme (and beware this may create a flatmate fight) leave their dirty plates on top of their bed/potentially even the bin they didn't take out on top of their bed too.

Insist that they either start to clean or pitch in for a cleaner. You would be surprised the difference 2 hours of a good cleaner can be in a week and it's not that much £ if you share it with your flatmates.

Good luck! I hope a clean future wil come to you :biggrin:
Just found another solution which might help too! There is this game called Chore Roulette where basically you click a button and everyone gets assigned chores.This could be a fun easy way to get everyone to do one helpful task when you are all together. Like- try to make more of a game out of it when you are all together.
I would rather have flatmates that clean than annoying snitches who act like my mum
Original post by SalazarSlytherin
I would rather have flatmates that clean than annoying snitches who act like my mum

Ah so you're one of those selfish entitled buggers who just expect other innocent people to clean up after you and be a slave to you as you're too lazy and inconsiderate to do anything yourself. I understand perfectly.

I would rather have flatmates who would pull their weight and clean up their own messes than annoying entitled ***** who act like they're better than me

Quick Reply

Latest