The Student Room Group

HELP! Extra and lose insurance or wait for clearing???

So I applied to do Primary Ed with QTS and Sheffield Hallam originally rejected me. I then decided that i wanted manchester met to be my firm choice and because of entry requirements did not have an insurance choice. I out MMU as my firm on 11th March.
About 3 weeks later I had an email from SHU saying they'd basically changed their mind and i had an interview. SHU was where I wanted to go to begin with and, having asked them if the fact that i'd already done my UCAS choices would affect it and them saying no, I went for the interview just a week later.
I got an offer and I said I wanted them to be my firm now, they're entry requirements are higher than MMU too. However, I would have liked MMU to become my insurance.
I have now been told, as I expected, that I either have to apply through UCAS Extra for them to give me my offer which would mean that I have to loose manchester and have no insurance or I wait until results day and go through clearing with them if i get the grades and they say it will be a guaranteed place if i do.
However, I don't know what the best option is as I am a worrier and so am worried that i would loose manchester and then not get the grades to get into SHU and it would be pointless.
I have to get back to them in the next 2 hours and idk what to do!
Help, please! Just some advice on what you think the best path to go would be great! :smile:
(sorry this is so long!)
Original post by emilyk221
So I applied to do Primary Ed with QTS and Sheffield Hallam originally rejected me. I then decided that i wanted manchester met to be my firm choice and because of entry requirements did not have an insurance choice. I out MMU as my firm on 11th March.
About 3 weeks later I had an email from SHU saying they'd basically changed their mind and i had an interview. SHU was where I wanted to go to begin with and, having asked them if the fact that i'd already done my UCAS choices would affect it and them saying no, I went for the interview just a week later.
I got an offer and I said I wanted them to be my firm now, they're entry requirements are higher than MMU too. However, I would have liked MMU to become my insurance.
I have now been told, as I expected, that I either have to apply through UCAS Extra for them to give me my offer which would mean that I have to loose manchester and have no insurance or I wait until results day and go through clearing with them if i get the grades and they say it will be a guaranteed place if i do.
However, I don't know what the best option is as I am a worrier and so am worried that i would loose manchester and then not get the grades to get into SHU and it would be pointless.
I have to get back to them in the next 2 hours and idk what to do!
Help, please! Just some advice on what you think the best path to go would be great! :smile:
(sorry this is so long!)

I literally just went though (basically still am) going through what you are going through.
I decided to do UCAS Extra because the uni that I initially I wanted to go to (firm choice) was really good but it just didn't have the exact course that I wanted to do. My insecure choice had the course I wanted to do, but after doing more research I found out that it was a really crap uni, so I decided to go to extra. However, it might be slightly different for you because you actually want to go to Manchester...and could end up losing your offer.
I personally, for your situation would say keep Manchester (depending how much you want to go) and go through clearing if you don't get into it on results day
If you need anymore help I am here :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by emilyk221
I have to get back to them in the next 2 hours

I'll let one of the experts (tagging @PQ ) answer your substantive question, but... why do you have to get back them so quickly?
(edited 7 years ago)
how long does itt take to hear back from extras for mmu
Original post by sasha_ali18
how long does itt take to hear back from extras for mmu

Extra is normally 3 weeks and then you can replace the choice, if its been longer that contact them and ask when you can expect a decision.
i just sent my application for extras last week so i have no idea

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending