The Student Room Group

3 out of 4 women still don't want to pay for dates

http://money.cnn.com/2015/09/07/news/economy/who-pays-for-first-date/

Decoding that "in between" space can be tough. When the check arrives on the first date, half of women reach for their purse. It's sometimes referred to as the "wallet fake" because about half of women who offer to pay get upset if they actually have to spend money.

Right, so 50% of women don't even bother doing the fake wallet reach and half of those who do only do it to ''test'' the man then get upset if he doesn't turn them down. To make things even more salty, we are living in a world where women in their 20's (and even in their 30's in the UK) earn more than men. All of this while constantly moaning about ''but but but mah equality''. I guess it's all feminism and Mizz Independent who don't need no man *snap fingers* until the bill comes, ey? So how about women apply their craving for equality in real life and not just on Tumblr and FB? Thank you for reading.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Fyi if this is what breaks your relationship then bloody good riddance.

I'd pay for her taxi home though so I never have to see her again.
Reply 2
yawn
don't get that tbh i'll always go halves AT LEAST
Just go half it's 2016! :u:
Reply 5
I would actually prefer to go halves on a date, I have no expectation beforehand that the guy should pay for the whole bill. I guess the women that do are fixated on the notion that a man should be chivalrous.
Original post by jawsontheflooor
don't get that tbh i'll always go halves AT LEAST

I wouldn't say I always go halves; on a first date yes, but in a committed relationship no. We take it in turns to pay, but occasionally just surprise each other by paying for a date when it's not our turn.
Reply 7
They should pay for their own meals. Going halves is only going to benefit the person who eats the most.
Reply 8
I'm guessing this will be another thread where every single female poster always goes for halves. Which is somewhat interesting since the real world is a completely different planet. So what do?
I don't pay for half, I pay for what I actually bought - simple.
I spent a whole relationship paying for the guy and then another where the guy pays for me.
I base it on their wealth.

But I can guarantee a lot of men subconsciously feel lesser when they don't pay and it can affect the relationship.
Original post by georgiaswift
I wouldn't say I always go halves; on a first date yes, but in a committed relationship no. We take it in turns to pay, but occasionally just surprise each other by paying for a date when it's not our turn.

yeah i completely agree, i like the surprising thing as well :smile:
I pay for absolutely everything and we go out and spend money a lot. But we've been together a long time. I know that she'd be happy to pay for us both all the time- I just don't let her.

If I was with someone who wouldn't be happy to pay for everything then I wouldn't be happy to pay for it all either though.
Reply 13
Original post by Erebor
http://money.cnn.com/2015/09/07/news/economy/who-pays-for-first-date/

Right, so 50% of women don't even bother doing the fake wallet reach and half of those who do only do it to ''test'' the man then get upset if he doesn't turn them down. To make things even more salty, we are living in a world where women in their 20's (and even in their 30's in the UK) earn more than men. All of this while constantly moaning about ''but but but mah equality''. I guess it's all feminism and Mizz Independent who don't need no man *snap fingers* until the bill comes, ey? So how about women apply their craving for equality in real life and not just on Tumblr and FB? Thank you for reading.

You do realise it's sexist for a man to suggest women pay anything? Women do not have a responsibility to pay for dates, they payed by attending the dates, men should always pay, it's sexist to suggest otherwise.

Plus more women going to university is not sexist. It would be sexist if more men went to university. We live in a sexist and male orientated society where women are considered third class citizens by white men, this is what you should address, not petty things
Reply 14
Original post by EllainKahlo
I don't pay for half, I pay for what I actually bought - simple.

Bit sexist if I'm going to be honest. Why should a women go on a date for a man if he's not willing to pay for everything?
Well, if there is a man willing to pay then why not? Never turn down a free lunch.
Reply 16
Original post by Blondie987
Just go half it's 2016! :u:

It's 2016 so we should have moved from this sexist idea that women have to pay on dates. If they are willing to go on a date with a man surely men should be willing to pay?
Original post by Omen96
It's 2016 so we should have moved from this sexist idea that women have to pay on dates. If they are willing to go on a date with a man surely men should be willing to pay?

What? The argument here is that most people say they want gender equality but women still expect guys to pay, if anyone is 'supposed' to pay on the date it should be the person who asked the other out but there is nothing wrong with paying half on a date, it shouldn't be expected of someone based on their gender, thas the sexist idea in question
Original post by Trapz99
They should pay for their own meals. Going halves is only going to benefit the person who eats the most.

Wise words my friend, wise words..
oh I certainly wouldn't want to pay, I have quite traditional expectations of what guys should do 😊

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending