The Student Room Group
School of Oriental and African Studies
London

MSc Political Economy of Development at SOAS

Hi everyone,

I applied for the MSc in Economics and MSc in Development Economics but I was offered an alternative program instead - the MSc in Political Economy of Development.

Does anyone have any experience of this program or know anyone who is studying / studied it? I have been trying to search online but haven't found much.

I would love to work in the policy arena of the World Bank or Asian Development Bank so I am wondering if an MSc in Economics or MSc in Development Economics would be better than an MSc in Political Economy in the job market.

Any input would be much appreciated!

Thank you!
(edited 7 years ago)
Hello,

I did Political Economy at SOAS in 2015/2016. It was well structured and I personally found it to be very useful - lots of critical discussions and different perspectives.

Just don't touch Globalisation and Development at SOAS :P Not well-structured and poorly facilitated.

All the best!
School of Oriental and African Studies
London
Reply 2
Original post by Quinceekins
Hello,

I did Political Economy at SOAS in 2015/2016. It was well structured and I personally found it to be very useful - lots of critical discussions and different perspectives.

Just don't touch Globalisation and Development at SOAS :P Not well-structured and poorly facilitated.

All the best!

Hi,

I am going to study MSc Political Economy of Development at SOAS this year, and I would also like to know more about this programme.
Could you please share your experience a bit more with us? What do you usually do in class? Does this programme need quantitative skills as much as other economics programmes (because it covers politics, I am a little confused)?

Many thanks!
Original post by Quinceekins
Hello,

All the best!

possible careers?

Wanted to do a degree on development econ but don't think I can handles the metrics

What's the difference *
Original post by MiaV11
Hi everyone,

I applied for the MSc in Economics and MSc in Development Economics but I was offered an alternative program instead - the MSc in Political Economy of Development.

Does anyone have any experience of this program or know anyone who is studying / studied it? I have been trying to search online but haven't found much.

I would love to work in the policy arena of the World Bank or Asian Development Bank so I am wondering if an MSc in Economics or MSc in Development Economics would be better than an MSc in Political Economy in the job market.

Any input would be much appreciated!

Thank you!

Why did they change your course?

Did u do econ at undergrad? *
Reply 5
Original post by julie009
Hi,

I am going to study MSc Political Economy of Development at SOAS this year, and I would also like to know more about this programme.
Could you please share your experience a bit more with us? What do you usually do in class? Does this programme need quantitative skills as much as other economics programmes (because it covers politics, I am a little confused)?

Many thanks!

Hey ! Congrats anyway
I would like to know: when did you apply? I want to apply for 2017-2018, I could apply now but I am wondering whether or not I should wait until February to have my 1st semester grades...

xxx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending