Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

For those of you who play guitar.

Announcements Posted on
Last day to win £100 of Amazon vouchers - don't miss out! Take our quick survey to enter 24-10-2016

How long did it take you to learn?? Could you pick up how to play songs that you liked just through your ears etc?

Starting songs:

Smoke on the Water <===== Always number 1.

Highway to hell.

Whiskey in the jar

Learn the basic chords: A, B, C, D, E, F, G

How long you take to get better depends on how much time you put in. You'll be able to play a lot of intermediate level stuff within a few weeks if you play for a few hours every day.

I learned very slowly years ago via weekly lessons, but I know I could've progressed much faster by just playing stuff to myself on a daily basis.

It took me a week to play chords and very basic songs, the first complete song I learnt was Youkai Mountain which I learnt after a month of playing
    I wouldn't learn B and F chords in the beginning they are a bit tricky
    But definitely learn A C D E and G chords. Also practice both chords and finger picking. Hey There Delilah is a good finger picking song and I guess Viva La Vida is good for learning basic strumming
    Also I find playing by ear extremely hard on guitar (Well at least hard compared to piano)

Well I've been playing for about fifteen years and there's plenty more I can learn.
    How quickly you become proficient is dependent on how much you practice and how dedicated that practice is towards improving your abilities rather than playing for fun. I can't remember the last time I played something with the sole intention of improving my skills. When I learn new songs it's because I think it would be nice to know them rather than because they're more difficult than what I can currently play. These days most of what I play is just going through songs I like and noodling around writing new ideas then eventually recording them.

6 months and I can play any metal song I chose after an hour or so of learning the song

I started by playing paranoid and one

Been learning via weekly lessons for four months now having sort of faded in and out as time allowed at university for four years (so the basic skills were there - chords and the like); Generally can play a riff from a song given half hour or so to go over a tab and listen to it to get a feel for tempo.

Can't reproduce a song by ear though, no.

I learned pretty slowly right at the start, then very quickly for maybe a year and a bit, then slowed. Due to lack of formal practice I'm crap now after almost six years, was better several years ago lol. So that kind of demonstrates the importance of sticking with things. With regards to songs, to be honest I'm not great with my memory, but I can play something with the tab in front of me reasonably fast, depending on the speed. Most of the time I couldn't do things by ear, or at least not perfectly; I could get the general gist.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 14, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you rather find
Useful resources

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.