The Student Room Group
University of York
York

College stereotypes at York

Not sure if there really are any major stereotypes at University of York but just interested to see how they're known by people at the university really!
All I've managed to gauge so far is that Alcuin is quiet and Derwent has good social life but accommodation is a bit grim.
Any opinions welcome! :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Alcuin: Quiet
Halifax: No overarching reputation... it's massive. Halifax chooses you, as most undergrads get put here whether they applied to it or not. If you apply to Halifax you pretty much get it.
Derwent: Social.
Goodricke: Boring/ generic college on Hes East. Accomodation is nice, just like Langwith, but not quite as nice as Constantine who have sofas and stuff.
Langwith: Equivalent of Derwent on Hes East campus.
Vanbrugh: Nerdier social college? Musical, but most people just get shafted with Vanbrugh to be perfectly honest. It's a bit of a mixed bag.
Constantine: Everyone with too much money goes here. It's also miles from anywhere.
James: Sporty.
Wentworth: Ghost town, postgrad college which I guarantee you'll know nobody from.
University of York
York
thanks for your opinions!

I have just finished the application for accommodation and found out that i was a bit late for it..... nearly all the accommodation within the campus is fully booked :frown::frown: and not much choices left.
Reply 3
Original post by Tiffanyorps
thanks for your opinions!

I have just finished the application for accommodation and found out that i was a bit late for it..... nearly all the accommodation within the campus is fully booked :frown::frown: and not much choices left.

What are you on about? They don't give out offers til August?
We didn't even get the ability to apply for accommodation until Aug 12th? I don't think. So, lucky. But yeah the offers won't be given out for ages because some people still haven't decided whether to live on campus in second/third/fourth year; priority is given to them.
Original post by Katarvi
What are you on about? They don't give out offers til August?

really?!

I also don't know why but I am a postgraduate student... so maybe the period of application is different between undergraduate & postgraduate ??..:confused:

Anyway when I went to see the page for application of accommodation (for postgrad) yesterday, nearly all the choices were marked with *currently fully booked with postgraduate, and only few were left.. (like Halifax & Constantine)
really?!

I also don't know why but I am a postgraduate student... so maybe the period of application is different between undergraduate & postgraduate ??..:confused:

Anyway when I went to see the page for application of accommodation (for postgrad) yesterday, nearly all the choices were marked with *currently fully booked with postgraduate, and only few were left.. (like Halifax & Constantine)

I've just got my offer for postgrad and I'm applying for accommodation tomorrow. Hopefully can sneak a place somewhere.
Original post by paulthompson94
I've just got my offer for postgrad and I'm applying for accommodation tomorrow. Hopefully can sneak a place somewhere.

Good luck to you!

I chose Langwith and I am looking forward to my new life there...:h:
Good luck to you!

I chose Langwith and I am looking forward to my new life there...:h:

Thank you! Yeah I can't wait either! :smile:

Went for Halifax in the end, there was only that or Constantine left I believe!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending