The Student Room Group

Should Uber/Grabcar be banned?

They operate at a very low cost and do not have to comply to regulation. As a result they are hurting legitimate taxi/cab's business. Many protests, some violent, has been seen around the globe.
...so you're saying that we should ban them...because they're so popular...?
surely the thing about capitalism is that the customers get what they want for the best price and best quality? surely that's why capitalist countries are as wealthy as they are?
so honestly, this just sounds like "let's ban the successful guy" - either that, or the state should cut back on the regulations that are apparently harming uber's competitors
and if other taxi services can't compete, then they need to either cut costs, cut wages or cut employees.
Taxi companies have been ripping people off with high prices for decades, let the industry die. Even without Uber the days of the traditional taxi is living on borrowed time. Fully automated driverless cars will be replacing them next. With some luck it will make bus travel obsolete too.
Reply 3
Original post by HucktheForde
and do not have to comply to regulation.

Well, of course they do. It's not like they've got some magic immunity from the law. If you're acting as a private hire car, you have to be registered as such.

If anything, such things are over-regulated. It costs hundreds of pounds to get a private hire licence.
No, let the market rule. Only regulate it to stop monolopies, i.e always aim to aid growth and competitiveness. Uber is a great company doing well, and all the drivers I've had have generally been nicer than most cab drivers. It's just evolution if some industries go bust because another does the same job better.
No. It offers a comparable service for a cheaper price. Never used it myself, then again I've never use taxis, but those that do speak highly of it. Taxi drivers complaining about it do so because they don't like having their cartel broken. Uber's issues with the employment status of their drivers and their tax avoidance are more serious issues.
Reply 6
Uber has a lot of flaws but some of the taxi cartels around the world are just disgusting and deserve to be out of a job. British taxis are overpriced and there has been instances of girls being raped because taxis refuse to accept short journeys, forcing them to walk home.

Just another example of an industry refusing to modernise and so something is coming to take its place.
Original post by Sephiroth
Taxi companies have been ripping people off with high prices for decades, let the industry die. Even without Uber the days of the traditional taxi is living on borrowed time. Fully automated driverless cars will be replacing them next. With some luck it will make bus travel obsolete too.

I hope the end result will be fully automated, driverless buses. Buses are a lot more environmentally friendly than everyone having their own car and I don't want to see them replaced.
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
I hope the end result will be fully automated, driverless buses. Buses are a lot more environmentally friendly than everyone having their own car and I don't want to see them replaced.

Buses are already obsolete for anyone physically able to drive their own vehicle. It's almost cheaper to run a car where I live than use the bus service and the time savings and health benefits of not standing around in cold and wet weather for 30-60 minutes in winter more than make up for the difference. For those with disabilities who are unable to drive automated car services are the future.

I take it you live in London, which has a reasonably priced and reliable service.
For what reason do you suggest to ban them?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending