The Student Room Group

wasted 2 years of my life!

So i've suspended my studies/dropped out at the very end of my second year as i wasn't doing well on placement and FINALLY realized this course was too challenging for someone like me. I'm now looking at transferring courses and start as a 2nd year student but it's looking like that's not possible and i will have to be starting again from year 1. How does this affect my student finance tuition fees? i'm living at home so i don't have accommodation costs. I was also eligible for the FULL maintenance grant (the one you don't pay back) due to low household income but they're stopping those now so if i start again from year 1 i'll have to take out more loans to fund my expenses at uni? I will be the only student in the biggest amount of debt you could ever imagine! But i do want to study so is it really worth all this debt? Can someone just tell me how badly i've screwed my life up? I'm also 21 so by the time i finish my course i will be around 24/25 and i'll be so old arrrrrrrrrghhhhhhhhhhhh WHAT HAVE I DONE TO MYSELF?!?

Feel free to leave nice OR nasty comments i just need A comment on my situation here!
What subject? Have you figured out what you really want to do?
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
What subject? Have you figured out what you really want to do?

Social work. I know i really want to work with children i'm looking at studying childhood studies/early years with teaching OR child play therapist. I want to work with children but not in a low pay sector like children's centre etc they barely get paid enough so was thinking child play therapist it's interesting and it's stuff we kind of covered in the social work module
So i've suspended my studies/dropped out at the very end of my second year as i wasn't doing well on placement and FINALLY realized this course was too challenging for someone like me. I'm now looking at transferring courses and start as a 2nd year student but it's looking like that's not possible and i will have to be starting again from year 1. How does this affect my student finance tuition fees? i'm living at home so i don't have accommodation costs. I was also eligible for the FULL maintenance grant (the one you don't pay back) due to low household income but they're stopping those now so if i start again from year 1 i'll have to take out more loans to fund my expenses at uni? I will be the only student in the biggest amount of debt you could ever imagine! But i do want to study so is it really worth all this debt? Can someone just tell me how badly i've screwed my life up? I'm also 21 so by the time i finish my course i will be around 24/25 and i'll be so old arrrrrrrrrghhhhhhhhhhhh WHAT HAVE I DONE TO MYSELF?!?

Feel free to leave nice OR nasty comments i just need A comment on my situation here!

Hey, i ve actually recently been in a i guess simliar situation (i basically decided to get a credit transfer and open degree through the OU in the end), so what I can say is you haven't completely screwed up and there should be some sort of options available to you.
Which subject was it you left and which one do you want to go on to do?

A second year entry should i believe mean that your fee problem would be sorted but you wouldn't get a grant then.

If you start again for year 1 then you would need to pay your tution yourself but should still get a maintenance loan. All is not lost and 24/25 really is not old to graduate in my mind.
Social work. I know i really want to work with children i'm looking at studying childhood studies/early years with teaching OR child play therapist. I want to work with children but not in a low pay sector like children's centre etc they barely get paid enough so was thinking child play therapist it's interesting and it's stuff we kind of covered in the social work module

If you've studied modules that could be relevant to childhood studies in the past I would look into whether you could transfer some credit so you end up needing to study less to get your degree.
Reply 5
Original post by claireestelle
Hey, i ve actually recently been in a i guess simliar situation (i basically decided to get a credit transfer and open degree through the OU in the end), so what I can say is you haven't completely screwed up and there should be some sort of options available to you.
Which subject was it you left and which one do you want to go on to do?

A second year entry should i believe mean that your fee problem would be sorted but you wouldn't get a grant then.

If you start again for year 1 then you would need to pay your tution yourself but should still get a maintenance loan. All is not lost and 24/25 really is not old to graduate in my mind.

I've been looking at OU a lot recently and it seemed appealing but my mum says no to that because i need to work on communicating with HUMANS i'm so anti-social one of the reasons i was failing placement so i have to go to a normal brick uni. LOL :biggrin: I left social work. I know i really want to work with children i'm looking at studying childhood studies/early years with teaching OR child play therapist. I want to work with children but not in a low pay sector like children's centre etc they barely get paid enough so was thinking child play therapist it's interesting and it's stuff we kind of covered in the social work module.

Yeah i'm really hoping i can start as a 2nd year but it's up to the course leaders to decide. I actually wouldn't mind the no grant i'd just have to get a job i guess (which i've never done before).

That's why i'm dreading starting as a 1st year student i honestly don't have the money to pay £9000 or however much it is like literally wouldn't be able to pay for it what would i do???
Reply 6
If you've studied modules that could be relevant to childhood studies in the past I would look into whether you could transfer some credit so you end up needing to study less to get your degree.

I really hope i can i mean my course wasn't really childhood related some parts were we studies law/polcies assessments communicaion skills kind of links
I really hope i can i mean my course wasn't really childhood related some parts were we studies law/polcies assessments communicaion skills kind of links

I've been looking at OU a lot recently and it seemed appealing but my mum says no to that because i need to work on communicating with HUMANS i'm so anti-social one of the reasons i was failing placement so i have to go to a normal brick uni. LOL :biggrin: I left social work. I know i really want to work with children i'm looking at studying childhood studies/early years with teaching OR child play therapist. I want to work with children but not in a low pay sector like children's centre etc they barely get paid enough so was thinking child play therapist it's interesting and it's stuff we kind of covered in the social work module.

Yeah i'm really hoping i can start as a 2nd year but it's up to the course leaders to decide. I actually wouldn't mind the no grant i'd just have to get a job i guess (which i've never done before).

That's why i'm dreading starting as a 1st year student i honestly don't have the money to pay £9000 or however much it is like literally wouldn't be able to pay for it what would i do???

That's the thing you could get a credit transfer with OU and then get a job (with humans:P) to pay your living costs and actually they do have tutorials in person or online where you will meet people, that's my plan for september.

I actually got my 1st paid job last month so stay positive on that front, maybe look into some volunteering in a charity shop or something like that to put onto your cv whilst you are figuring things out. I guess worst case scenario you could work full time for a year to save up to pay your fees and it'd give you experience and maybe some time to get back into enjoying studying again.
I think the best thing to do at the moment, is make some inquiries with loads of unis as to whether second year entry is possible and then go from there. I know it might not seem like it right now but things will work out for you in the end :smile:
Reply 8
That's the thing you could get a credit transfer with OU and then get a job (with humans:P) to pay your living costs and actually they do have tutorials in person or online where you will meet people, that's my plan for september.

I actually got my 1st paid job last month so stay positive on that front, maybe look into some volunteering in a charity shop or something like that to put onto your cv whilst you are figuring things out. I guess worst case scenario you could work full time for a year to save up to pay your fees and it'd give you experience and maybe some time to get back into enjoying studying again.
I think the best thing to do at the moment, is make some inquiries with loads of unis as to whether second year entry is possible and then go from there. I know it might not seem like it right now but things will work out for you in the end :smile:

I'd have to look into that then maybe it's a possibility. Thanx will take your advice into consideration xxx
I'd have to look into that then maybe it's a possibility. Thanx will take your advice into consideration xxx

Glad to help :smile: hope you figure things out :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest