The Student Room Group
North Campus, Birmingham City University
Birmingham City University
Birmingham
Visit website

Speech and Language Therapy Offer Holders 2016

Hi Everyone!
Im hoping to go to BCU to study undergraduate speech and language therapy and was hoping to find some others who were also going to be on the course!
Thanks,
Florence
Reply 1
Hey, I've got a place on this course!
North Campus, Birmingham City University
Birmingham City University
Birmingham
Visit website
Reply 2
I have a conditional offer for starting this September. My Access course is yet to go through moderation but got what I needed so unless much changes I have met the academic conditions. I'm so excited to get stuck in already but I'm trying not to wish the summer away too much! How is everyone getting on with DBS/ Occupational Health clearance/ Bursary application?
Reply 3
Original post by cia92
I have a conditional offer for starting this September. My Access course is yet to go through moderation but got what I needed so unless much changes I have met the academic conditions. I'm so excited to get stuck in already but I'm trying not to wish the summer away too much! How is everyone getting on with DBS/ Occupational Health clearance/ Bursary application?

Hey, yeah I'm excited too! I haven't really been doing much with it, how about you?
Reply 4
Are you from birmingham guys I also have a conditional offer awaiting ALEVEL results
Hi,
I have just finished the 1st year. I am doing the part-time option for the first two years so will be with you guys next year on Tuesday's and Friday's. I'm switching to full time at the end of next year so will be the same cohort as you all. If you need any info at all, I will try and help.
I am a very mature student! I live in Shropshire and commute in.
I've really enjoyed the year. It's a lot of hard work but I've learn a huge amount.
Good luck to anyone sitting A levels at the moment!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Erycah
Are you from birmingham guys I also have a conditional offer awaiting ALEVEL results

Good luck for your results! I'm not from birmingham, guessing you'll be living at home then?
Hi everyone, I'm a third year speech and language therapy student at BCU. I am also a level up mentor this year for anyone joining. Please join our facebook page 'BCU Health Sciences 2016' for any information related to the course or uni life in general. There is also a xoodle page that you can join and register for for specific course details by searching BCUhealth.com. We also have a society page that you can check out - BCU Speech and Language Therapy SocietyFeel free to also ask any questions on here! :smile:
hello everyone I am a second year speech and language student at BCU and also a mentor for the course.
there is also a Facebook group for your year 'Birmingham City University Speech and Language Therapy 2016'
if you have any questions at all please feel free to ask me on here or find me on Facebook!! :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
Hi folks. Hoping someone returns to this thread to answer a couple of questions for me. I'm going to apply to do the part time course if timetabling allows me to keep on my current job in audiology. I work three days a week. I'm assuming the PT route is two days and 2.5 on placement - can anyone confirm please? Also, how long are work placements? All I can see on the BCU website is that the course is being rewritten for next year so there's very little info on the practicalities.

I have experience with secondary age children as a teacher, my own who are both under 7 and adults in a hearing rehab setting. I spoke to a SALT at work yesterday and can get some shadowing, and also have a week of occupational therapy shadowing starting soon, so I'm hoping that on paper I'll be fine. Has anyone any experience of applying to the uni for the part time route? I'm wondering if that also gives me the option of applying for occupational therapy via UCAS as a back-up.
hiya i am doing the course full time the placement in second year for part time i belive is 8 weeks and yes 2.5 days a week (for the two years you do 2nd year) in third year im not 100% sure to be honest but for full time its 15 weeks so im guessing it will follow suit. with all of your experience i dont think youll have trouble getting in!! at the moment for your first year you will be in Monday and Thursday but as you said they are rewritting the course so this could change let meknow if you have any other questions:smile:
Reply 11
Thank you. Enjoy your second year - the SALT I spoke to yesterday was enjoying her job and felt that job prospects were OK. Any additional info you could glean on the arrangement of the PT course would be great but this is a big help.
Reply 12
I just thought of another question if ok Rebecca. What time do lectures tend to start? Just need to think about whether I can actually commute there in time. And are the days full of lectures and tutorials or is there study time as well? Thanks.
the lectures are about 9-4 and yes its lectures all day with hour lunch break the course is very intense! there are quite a few people with children who tend to turn up a little after the start time where would you be commuting from?
Reply 14
Just over the Welsh border. It's doable but I think it might try my patience over six years!
yes maybe! how long a drive would it be? i commute just over an hour each way which i find manageable
Reply 16
90 mins but that's not taking M6 rush hour into account!
Reply 17
hi, I've just started part time. The days are Monday and Thursday in the first year and Tuesday and Friday in the second year with an occasional Wednesday I believe! For me this term my lectures on a Thursday don't finish until 6pm but next term te groups will swap and we'll be finishing earlier. I won't do a block placement until my third year and I think although they will be two days per week, the days will depend on where I am placed. You may also want to look at the map of 'local' placements as it covers quite a large geographical are. I think they try to take account of circumstances but you may have to commute for up to an hour. I'm really enjoying the course so far, the lecturers are knowledgable, insightful and mindful of students needs. Probably best for you to try to go to an open day so you can get more of a feel for it and ask the lecturers questions.
If you have any other questions please just let me know!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 18
Thank you! I went to the open day on Saturday and had almost made up my mind to go for it, but I have nagging reservations about job opportunities at the end of it so still not sure.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending