The Student Room Group

I've been programming 6 years, AMA

I have a feeling I can help some people with issues starting and some of the more complicated issues with some languages. I know the following well:

Java
C (my main language)
HTML + CSS
JSON

I have some knowledge of the following languages but I am quite rusty

Python
C++

Ask me anything and I will give an answer, although I'd prefer not to get a ton of "what's wrong with my code" questions.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What type of projects have you worked/programmed on yourself?
Reply 2
What order did you learn these languages in and how long did it take you?
My main language is Java, I know a few others but I'm trying to get into C and having a hard time
Reply 3
Original post by TercioOfParma
I have a feeling I can help some people with issues starting and some of the more complicated issues with some languages. I know the following well:

Java
C (my main language)
HTML + CSS
JSON

I have some knowledge of the following languages but I am quite rusty

Python
C++

Ask me anything and I will give an answer, although I'd prefer not to get a ton of "what's wrong with my code" questions.

What's the best way to self teach your self programming languages?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Axlerod
What type of projects have you worked/programmed on yourself?

Mostly games, love writing generators for things. The other day I wrote a program which generates gods and goddesses. Also wrote up the typical algorithms(QSort, BSort, random images). The biggest project I have ever written was a war simulation game, and that was about 15-20k counting script, 6k without script.

Original post by GUMI
What order did you learn these languages in and how long did it take you?
My main language is Java, I know a few others but I'm trying to get into C and having a hard time

I made the mistake of starting with C++. It was a baptism of fire and took me 6 months with my 12 year old brain. I revisted programming later again with Python, which I learned in 3 days.

Original post by am99
What's the best way to self teach your self programming languages?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Buy a book, sit down with a few six packs of mountain dew, and only get up for meals and to sleep until you have finished the book. Then, build projects based on what you have learned to consolidate it in your mind.
Are you rich?
Original post by Infamous*
Are you rich?
I'm very stingy with the way I spend, so kinda. I have never had a proper job though, although I am planning on going into contract work once A2s are over.
Reply 7
Which books would you recommend to self teach?
Original post by Axlerod
Which books would you recommend to self teach?

When I learned python, I used Zed Shaw's Ebook, took me around 3 days and gave me a decent grounding.

For C I used C Programming in easy steps, and took me around a week.

Was taught Java and HTML/CSS by school, can't remember where I learned C++

You can learn JSON in like 10 minutes, just read a web page on it.
How do you even start the programming? Maybe sounds stupid, but is it a case of writing the scripts on notepad then running them w/ a command window or using visual studio to make iOS/Android stuff????? Just finished Mr Robot I want this stuff in my life
Original post by ImagineCats
How do you even start the programming? Maybe sounds stupid, but is it a case of writing the scripts on notepad then running them w/ a command window or using visual studio to make iOS/Android stuff????? Just finished Mr Robot I want this stuff in my life

There was a game design club at my school, and we did actionscript 2 programming. I liked it so one day I decided to try C++, and from then on I was hooked (even if C++ was difficult for my 12 year old mind)

I tend to write desktop stuff really, since phones aren't as powerful and it's a bit more difficult to test.
Which language do you think is the hardest to learn/use?
There was a game design club at my school, and we did actionscript 2 programming. I liked it so one day I decided to try C++, and from then on I was hooked (even if C++ was difficult for my 12 year old mind)

I tend to write desktop stuff really, since phones aren't as powerful and it's a bit more difficult to test.

But I just don't understand where on a computer you can actually do the coding stuff??? Where do all those lines of codes come from???
Original post by RezzBerry
Which language do you think is the hardest to learn/use?

Well, this one time I tried to write a brain**** interpreter (I had exams and the loops were irritating me so I stopped). That is the most difficult language I have encountered to get anything done with.

In terms of learning, probably something like C++ simply because it's a massive language. x86 assembly is up there too, because it takes a lot more than just knowing what the mnemonics do to get something good functioning.
But I just don't understand where on a computer you can actually do the coding stuff??? Where do all those lines of codes come from???

They go from my fingers to the keyboard. They are made in the mind.
They go from my fingers to the keyboard. They are made in the mind.

Pls no I mean do you have to have a certain software to programme stuff???? So rn on my laptop if I thought eyy wanna do some coding woo where would I go to to do the coding? Would I just straight away start typing and it would all happen?? This has always confused me I'm a beginner #dontjudge pls
Pls no I mean do you have to have a certain software to programme stuff???? So rn on my laptop if I thought eyy wanna do some coding woo where would I go to to do the coding? Would I just straight away start typing and it would all happen?? This has always confused me I'm a beginner #dontjudge pls

Depends what you want to program. Do you know what language you want to learn or just want something good to start with?
Hello!

That's really cool :h: I've moved this to a more appropriate section though. Please be careful when selecting a section to post your thread in. :yep:

Cheers!
Ethan
Original post by iEthan
Hello!

That's really cool :h: I've moved this to a more appropriate section though. Please be careful when selecting a section to post your thread in. :yep:

Cheers!
Ethan

Apologies, kinda new to the site.
Apologies, kinda new to the site.

No need to apologise! At all :h: welcome to TSR!

Latest

Trending

Trending