The Student Room Group

I really want to do Computer Science but...

I really want to do CS but so far every University I have seen is asking for a B in maths, and I only a hold a C. I've always wanted to do CS as well. At the moment am in college (first year) doing BTEC ICT LVL2 in Software develop doing level 3 next year. If i can't do CS due to my C then there is no point of me doing level 3 i suppose...Can anyone like clear things out a little is there a possibility or something

- Thanks

Scroll to see replies

I applied to Leicester and they waved the requirement for a B as I already had a C(despite previously saying they wouldn't so I enrolled onto a GCSE Maths course). They also accept people for Computing with a C and allow you to transfer to CS after the first year subject to your grades.

The best thing would be to resit so you can keep your options open.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by JamesN88
I applied to Leicester and they waved the requirement for a B as I already had a C(despite previously saying they wouldn't so I enrolled onto a GCSE Maths course). They also accept people for Computing with a C and allow you to transfer to CS after the first year subject to your grades.

The best thing would be to resit so you can keep your options open.

Thanks! Didn't really know computing and computer science were two different courses, Just checked the Leicester website and they ask for a C. Yh, I will try my best to get a resit for maths. Cheers :
Original post by iRighteous
I really want to do CS but so far every University I have seen is asking for a B in maths, and I only a hold a C. I've always wanted to do CS as well. At the moment am in college (first year) doing BTEC ICT LVL2 in Software develop doing level 3 next year. If i can't do CS due to my C then there is no point of me doing level 3 i suppose...Can anyone like clear things out a little is there a possibility or something

- Thanks

CS isn't that useful, it is too general.
Original post by Vinny1900

CS graduates are among the highest paid in the country. What are you smoking to think CS 'isn't that useful'?

What would you say is useful?
Original post by Jabberjay_
CS graduates are among the highest paid in the country. What are you smoking to think CS 'isn't that useful'?

Yes they get paid a lot so I guessing it's useful
Resit maths while doing your BTEC

Source please?
Original post by iRighteous

- Thanks

Well, you could always sink all your spare time into getting that grade in maths.
Original post by Sacred Ground
Source please?

http://uk.businessinsider.com/highest-paying-uk-graduate-jobs-2015-7

About 40k average. With degrees from some unis you could be earning that much upon graduation.
http://uk.businessinsider.com/highest-paying-uk-graduate-jobs-2015-7

About 40k average. With degrees from some unis you could be earning that much upon graduation.

I imagine it's very unlikely to graduate and go into a 40k/year job, whether that be with computer science or any other degree
Original post by Sacred Ground
I imagine it's very unlikely to graduate and go into a 40k/year job, whether that be with computer science or any other degree

I just firmed imperial. Their average graduate salary is 38k for computer science. You underestimate the high demand for skilled graduates in this field.
Reply 13
I also had C in maths went I left school. When I started my BTEC level 3 in IT while I was in my first year I looked at university requirements and most of them wanted B to study CS which is the same as you. So I retook the exam and got B now. So don't worry about it you still got to retake the exam. Just let your teacher know u want to retake the maths exam.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What would you say is useful?

What do you want to be?
What do you want to be?

A software developer.
A software developer.

Do a course heavy in programming, you don't do a lot of that in CS.
Do a course heavy in programming, you don't do a lot of that in CS.

It's more down to what modules a course contains rather than its title. I've picked one that includes a good amount of Software Engineering, plus I'm planning to do a Software Engineering Msc afterwards as well.
It's more down to what modules a course contains rather than its title. I've picked one that includes a good amount of Software Engineering, plus I'm planning to do a Software Engineering Msc afterwards as well.

Trust your instincts ?
Trust your instincts ?

I do.:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest