The Student Room Group

marrying young

anyone had any experiences of marrying young (below 20), or know any experiences of perhaps family or friends who have?
yep, my cousin got married at 17
shes got a daughter and is very happy :smile:
no one in my family :nah: they all decided to graduate first and then marriage... you cant get married in young age and be dependent on your partner :noway: i would defo get my qualification and job and then marriage in 15 years time i guess :u:
Original post by Anonymous
anyone had any experiences of marrying young (below 20), or know any experiences of perhaps family or friends who have?

Yeah gypsies, I heard they always marry really young. I knew a couple who lived in a caravan in an old decrepit building site outside my local Sainsburys.
a male relative of mine in pakistan got married when he was 18, but to be honest he be honest he acted like a goddamn 30 years old
well theres this girl in another school who is getting engaged at 16 but i forgot when shes getting married
Well, my close friend is turning 18 soon, and she has been with her boyfriend since she was 13, and she actually believes that he is "the one" and thinks she will marry him, fairly young.
(edited 7 years ago)
Not another relative but I know a person who came from a tribal area near mine who was married since he was 13, the last time I spoke to him he was 17, i know that he wasn't exactly the best husband, he was still a kid at heart, but also thought he was a man, so he became very possesive and controlling
Below 20 is young?? I'm 20, should I be thinking about marriage??? :eek4:
im bumping for OP
no way? imagine that! ohh damn poor girl, did she mind marrying him or was she ok with it
Original post by fatima1998
no one in my family :nah: they all decided to graduate first and then marriage... you cant get married in young age and be dependent on your partner :noway: i would defo get my qualification and job and then marriage in 15 years time i guess :u:

why can't you be dependant on your partner? I get what you mean about getting married young with no qualifications and being completely dependant, so I say get your qualifications, go uni, then get married. Not every women needs to work, it's unfair that women feel pressurised into working
why can't you be dependant on your partner? I get what you mean about getting married young with no qualifications and being completely dependant, so I say get your qualifications, go uni, then get married. Not every women needs to work, it's unfair that women feel pressurised into working

you cannot predict what is going to happen in future... try to be prepared for the situation... and no one is pressuring women to do job.... all i am saying is to be prepared for the situation that can arise... :cute:
Original post by fatima1998
you cannot predict what is going to happen in future... try to be prepared for the situation... and no one is pressuring women to do job.... all i am saying is to be prepared for the situation that can arise... :cute:

that's why I say get all the qualification first just in case

**** getting married young

Stronger & healthier partnerships between people arise when both are able to function independently, but want to be together nonetheless. Not because they 'need' each other, or because they 'depend' on one another, but because they actually want to be together irrespective of what ulterior benefits the relationship may bring each of them. Ulterior benefits such as:
- security
- money
- influential social circles

I personally am less attracted to people in general who have this 'codependent' mindset, feeling that they 'need' someone else to 'complete' them. I think it's rubbish. It's weak.

Be the best and most complete version of yourself that you can be. Then find a partner. That's not an excuse either for leaving it until you're 40 or 50+ though. People who do that usually do it because they measure their 'completeness' in material assets rather than self-reflecting on their personality and whether or not they feel genuinely ready for a relationship. Or in other words they measure their independence in terms of 'financial independence', rather than analysing how they relate with other people, which I would instead call 'emotional independence'.
(edited 2 years ago)
**** getting married young

This is a thread from five years ago, bestie. Bit late, aren't you?
Original post by Asha_m
This is a thread from five years ago, bestie. Bit late, aren't you?

ffs, it happened to me again lol
Original post by NonIndigenous
ffs, it happened to me again lol

it happens to everyone - anons reviving discussions from years ago

Quick Reply

Latest