The Student Room Group

Why does it take so long to get a driving test?

Why does it take so long to have a driving test?

I had to wait 3-4 months last year for my driving test which was on 15 December 2015.
A few days before this date, I recieved an email saying there was a strike, so I had to wait another 3 ****ing months so I had to book another one.

3 months later. A few days before my test, I recieved an email saying my examiner will no longer be available at this date, so I had to book another test.
Luckily, I managed to find a cancellation. The next day I had my test but I failed due to changing lane too quickly in front of another vehicle.

I had to book another test, so I have to wait another two months and 1 week till (15th June 2016).

I first started taking my driving lessons in November 2014, and I was learning quickly. It embarrases me that I've had to wait so long.

Test centres are packed nowadays. If I wanted to book a test now, I would have to wait till August+.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Naveed-7
Why does it take so long to have a driving test?

I had to wait 3-4 months last year for my driving test which was on 15 December 2015.
A few days before this date, I recieved an email saying there was a strike, so I had to wait another 3 ****ing months so I had to book another one.

3 months later. A few days before my test, I recieved an email saying my examiner will no longer be available at this date, so I had to book another test.
Luckily, I managed to find a cancellation. The next day I had my test but I failed due to changing lane too quickly in front of another vehicle.

I had to book another test, so I have to wait another two months and 1 week till (15th June 2016).

I first started taking my driving lessons in November 2014, and I was learning quickly. It embarrases me that I've had to wait so long.

Test centres are packed nowadays. If I wanted to book a test now, I would have to wait till August+.

Some centres are not that busy but you may have to travel a long way
Test centres are probably understaffed, and very few examiners work on weekends as far as I'm aware.

-EDIT-
Now that I think about it, there might be a bit of a rush of students that are deciding to learn at the last minute before going off to uni or work.
(edited 7 years ago)
Less examiners. It's the same in my area. The waiting time is 18 weeks!!!! dammit!!!
A lot of people are learning to drive... My instructor even was extremely busy, and had to tell people to wait, because he simply didn't have all the time to teach everyone... Lots learning = lots needing tests...

I was quite lucky, I had a date in mind, and as soon as it would allow me to book that date, I did... Despite that, a waiting time isn't necessarily too bad imo, especially if you can practice outside of lessons, because the more practice the better!!
Best way to do it is via cancellations apps. That way it notifies you when some cancels an earlier date, and you can book that. My test was in about 2 months time and I got it down to around a month using a cancellation app.
Time of year is crucial. If you booked in the early spring months (Feb/March/April) then you'd have had a pretty easy time getting a test in, but come May everyone's trying to get their test in to get their license for the summer.
Supply and demand baby

Quick Reply

Latest