The Student Room Group

Is it odd to want to avoid dating people of a certain religion?

Like I was brought up as a muslim but I don't believe in it and I absolutely wouldn't want to date someone who was even a mildly religious muslim because it reminds me of all the stuff I hated and was forced to do growing up, and all the negative feelings that came with it (this is nothing against Islam or muslims, just the way I was brought up has left me feeling like this). Sometimes I wonder if I'm missing out on good people though by making this a deal breaker.

I wouldn't mind dating someone who was of a different religion though as long as they weren't really religious.

Anyone feel the same?

(note this is not specifically to do with muslims and I have absolutely nothing against them, it could be any religion. I just put down muslim because that's my personal experience. Im also aware that a lot of muslims don't date but Im talking about the ones that are open to it)

Scroll to see replies

No

Thinking of it in the long term, should you settle with a person whose religious beliefs clash with yours, there's going to be a problem in terms of the lifestyle you lead and how you raise your children etc.

Though you should note that there are Muslims out there who identify as Muslim but are hardly as devout as others.
(edited 7 years ago)
Yes don't date a muslim, as dating isn't allowed for us. The ones who are open to dating, either don't know that is isn't allowed or just dont care. But don't date them too once they wake up, they will feel guilty and dump you/move away from you slowly.
Nope, not odd at all.
Reply 4
Original post by Kraixo
Yes don't date a muslim, as dating isn't allowed for us. The ones who are open to dating, either don't know that is isn't allowed or just dont care. But don't date them too once they wake up, they will feel guilty and dump you/move away from you slowly.

Yeah I've noticed the bit in bold actually and it's another strong reason why I would avoid dating even open-minded or liberal muslims (or anyone who does genuinely believe in it but might not follow it 100%). I've known so many people who become religious after they've had their fun and you'd never have expected them to become 'good' boys/girls. Guilt is a powerful thing, Ive experienced it and wouldn't want to risk wasting my time with someone if after all they decided they wanted to settle for a 'good' muslim girl (as in good in the muslim sense).

If they didn't believe in it but were brought up with it that would be a different story.
Reply 5
Original post by Serine Soul
No

Thinking of it in the long term, should you settle with a person whose religious beliefs that clash with yours, there's going to be a problem in terms of the lifestyle you lead and how you raise your children etc.

Though you should note that there are Muslims out there who identify as Muslim but are hardly as devout as others.

Yeah completely agree. Although in my case even someone who identifies as a muslim would be too far for me, as obviously if they are still identifying with it they have some connection and identify with the religion, whereas it doesn't play a part in my life at all (and I would never want it to). Also it runs the risk of what I mentioned in this post:

Original post by Anonymous
Yeah I've noticed the bit in bold actually and it's another strong reason why I would avoid dating even open-minded or liberal muslims (or anyone who does genuinely believe in it but might not follow it 100%). I've known so many people who become religious after they've had their fun and you'd never have expected them to become 'good' boys/girls. Guilt is a powerful thing, Ive experienced it and wouldn't want to risk wasting my time with someone if after all they decided they wanted to settle for a 'good' muslim girl (as in good in the muslim sense).

If they didn't believe in it but were brought up with it that would be a different story.
NO! I would never date a Muslim or anyone devoutly religious because I wouldn't have a connection to somebody with such a different worldview.
Reply 7
Original post by Kraixo

yeah exactly don't pressurise a muslim to stay in a relationship that they will feel uncomfortable being in- unless you're willing to marry them.... ah but then they can't marry a non muslim so i would just steer clear
there are many ex muslims out there tho- u may find common ground with them try them :smile:
Reply 8
Like I was brought up as a muslim but I don't believe in it and I absolutely wouldn't want to date someone who was even a mildly religious muslim because it reminds me of all the stuff I hated and was forced to do growing up, and all the negative feelings that came with it (this is nothing against Islam or muslims, just the way I was brought up has left me feeling like this). Sometimes I wonder if I'm missing out on good people though by making this a deal breaker.

I wouldn't mind dating someone who was of a different religion though as long as they weren't really religious.

Anyone feel the same?

(note this is not specifically to do with muslims and I have absolutely nothing against them, it could be any religion. I just put down muslim because that's my personal experience. Im also aware that a lot of muslims don't date but Im talking about the ones that are open to it)

I am a non Muslim and I feel there is nothing wrong.
Reply 9
Original post by jambojim97
NO! I would never date a Muslim or anyone devoutly religious because I wouldn't have a connection to somebody with such a different worldview.

agreed, are you male or female out of curiosity? :smile:
Right? Im christian so I'd want to date someone of the same religion/same views. Other religions would be too much of a clash and would probably strain the relationship imo.
Theres nothing odd about what you want, its perfectly valid.
Original post by ironingplaylist
Right? Im christian so I'd want to date someone of the same religion/same views. Other religions would be too much of a clash and would probably strain the relationship imo.
Theres nothing odd about what you want, its perfectly valid.

I guess its more that I'm avoiding people of a certain religion but that makes sense
Reply 12
I think a large disparity in religious belief is not a good basis for a religion. Although there are many aspects to attraction and you would be surprised, I imagine, how many couples live with different attitudes and even taboo topics. This and the huge variation in how people practice religion means that it is pretty ignorant to say that one would always want to avoid a particular religion.
nah it's not odd at all loads of people avoid/prefer certain religions. I couldn't get with anybody who was madly devout as they'd probably annoy me.
I personally couldn't date someone who is religious. Their views would be too different to mine.
Not really, it could lead to problems when it comes to raising children, as you may struggle when it comes down to beliefs.
agreed, are you male or female out of curiosity? :smile:

Male. But I know plenty of females who share my view.
No I don't think its odd, rude or unacceptable not to want to date someone of a different religion or belief system from you. I personally couldn't be with someone who is religious in any sense but would happily be friends with someone of any religion. Just when it comes to someone I will settle down with, they have to be on the same page and views as me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Anyone feel the same?

No, I want to marry someone same ethnicity as me. The second element to it is my parents would kill me if i took a black or asian home.
No, neither discriminatory either. Having different views on religion can provide quite a big barrier & cause a lot of friction so I can totally understand why people might not want to date someone because of this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending