The Student Room Group

Can I teach myself AS Levels in 3 weeks?

I am currently studying History, Sociology and Economics. I basically did not bother all year and I am now regretting my mistakes. My sixth form is really strict but because of my GCSE results and homework (essays) I've given before, they haven't kicked me off the courses. History I would say I have about 60% of knowledge, and I seem to be doing good in terms of exam technique. Sociology, I have never completed a piece of homework however I have picked up the slack this week and learnt purely sociology. I am half way through the second unit (research methods) and I have done a past paper yesterday for re-assurance. My teacher marked it today and said it was a B grade which is great considering I have gotten a U and an E in my last mocks. Economics is the worst for me. I have barely been to lessons because of my teacher (kept getting supply teachers) and when I do go, I don't understand a thing. My last mock I got a high E (purely on the knowledge of GCSE business and about 20 minutes revision before the exam). I am really struggling balancing the time for these 3 subjects and in my mocks I got D,E,E. I am only aiming for all D's this year so I can progress for A2 levels and will not let this happen to me again for sure.

On a separate note, for Economics I was told today that I would be removed from the exam (it is almost 3 weeks before the exam) are my school able to do this? I have an updated exam timetable and I am still entered for it. I am attempting to prove myself this coming Tuesday and I am sure my school would allow me to do Economics. I am just fearful that I will be left with 2 A levels and cannot pick up anymore in September. If I am entered for the exam I shall teach myself and aim for a C/D (i'm sure it isn't difficult to move up from an E to a D?)
With enough dedication and willpower, sure.
Reply 2
Original post by RezzBerry
With enough dedication and willpower, sure.

Thank you! Do you have any techniques in terms of teaching myself Economics?
Original post by sakb16
Thank you! Do you have any techniques in terms of teaching myself Economics?

I cannot say for Economics alone, but, generally, you'd want to try cover the content as quick as possible and then spend the rest of the time doing past papers. Correcting mistakes on past papers is also a big help.
3 weeks is alot of time. If you work day to night full time then u can get a good mark. But u need to be committed and consistent. U can do it!!! . Good luck! . Btw what exam board are you doing for economics. Im doing edexcel.
Reply 5
Yeah It's easier said than done. It took me about a week to learn half a unit but thanks for your advise!
Reply 6
Original post by Katttt.2016
3 weeks is alot of time. If you work day to night full time then u can get a good mark. But u need to be committed and consistent. U can do it!!! . Good luck! . Btw what exam board are you doing for economics. Im doing edexcel.

Thank you, you too! and I am doing OCR economics
Original post by sakb16
Thank you, you too! and I am doing OCR economics

Ive just started my revision... and my exams in 2weeks. im revising from 8am -9pm every day so im hoping that it will be enough.
I find economics quite easy but when i do get stuck on a certain topic i watch EconplusDal on youtube .
Reply 8
Ive just started my revision... and my exams in 2weeks. im revising from 8am -9pm every day so im hoping that it will be enough.
I find economics quite easy but when i do get stuck on a certain topic i watch EconplusDal on youtube .

Are you on study leave? For me I see school at the moment as a waste of time. Like lessons 9-3:30 are just banter and not much work is being taught. I see myself doing actual revision from about 5/6pm until 9 and this has been this week alone. I think if I were at home revising, time would not be a problem.
And thank you for telling me about EconplusDal, I'll check it out.
Original post by sakb16
Are you on study leave? For me I see school at the moment as a waste of time. Like lessons 9-3:30 are just banter and not much work is being taught. I see myself doing actual revision from about 5/6pm until 9 and this has been this week alone. I think if I were at home revising, time would not be a problem.
And thank you for telling me about EconplusDal, I'll check it out.

. Lol i have school. But im not going in. **** that, i need to actually revise at home to get good results. My lessons are useless. If u feel ur really struggling with time and ur getting stressed i would advise just not going in like me!
. Lol i have school. But im not going in. **** that, i need to actually revise at home to get good results. My lessons are useless. If u feel ur really struggling with time and ur getting stressed i would advise just not going in like me!

Btw watch the news if u dont already aha. Some of the long questions may evolve around current affairs. So having that background knowledge will help u develop ur argument. But im not sure what exam board is like . I watch question time and newsnight
You can, but whether you will depends on what resources you use and how hard you are willing to work
I do sociology and you can definitely teach yourself Sociology in these 3 weeks. My advice would be to produce flash cards for the key terms as it will help with the 4/6 mark questions. Learn KEY sociologists for Functionalism, Marxism etc. And you'll be fine. We all get in situations like these, better that you've still got 3 weeks left. Good luck

Quick Reply

Latest