The Student Room Group

Ancient Greek and Latin A-Levels

Which are usual A-Level combinations of students applying to read classics at Oxford and how many have both Greek and Latin at A2 Level?
Whilst I'm not sure, Oxford does do a 4 year Classics course for those who have never actually studied either Latin or Greek before - so don't feel as though you need one or both to apply! If you just do one of the two, I think you have to catch up in the other one, but can still do the 3 year course? I'm not sure, though. I'd think the number of people applying with both would be quite small, though, as not even many private schools offer Greek. There'd likely be a fair amount applying with Latin, but again, there would be many people applying who had no qualifications in either.
Reply 2
Original post by roarchika
Whilst I'm not sure, Oxford does do a 4 year Classics course for those who have never actually studied either Latin or Greek before - so don't feel as though you need one or both to apply! If you just do one of the two, I think you have to catch up in the other one, but can still do the 3 year course? I'm not sure, though. I'd think the number of people applying with both would be quite small, though, as not even many private schools offer Greek. There'd likely be a fair amount applying with Latin, but again, there would be many people applying who had no qualifications in either.

Thanks for the reply. I was curious about the percentage of successful Oxford applicants who have both, one or no language at A-Level accordingly. The web page says that most students have Latin, some Greek and some no language whatsoever. I analyzed the issue a bit more.Oxford admission statistic page says that Classics course 1 (for students with one or two languages) has up to twice higher admission rate than course 2 which does not require language at all. The admission rate for the course 1 is up to 50%. Furthermore, the course 1 is divided amongst IA,IB, and IC meaning Latin and Greek, only Latin and only Greek accordingly. Is it logical to assume that students with both languages have success rate more than 50%?Sorry for my loose English-it's not my native language.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending