The Student Room Group

Primark thread

I recently got a part time retail assistant job at Primark. I'm contracted to work weekends, 4 hours each day. My first day is tomorrow and I have a few questions, any help will be much appreciated :smile:

- I have my induction and I was told to report to HR on my first day but I'm really nervous that it's going to be awkard and I won't know what to do? When my shift is over (2:30-6:30 on Saturday and 1-5 Sunday) do I just leave and clock out or do I have to tell someone or is clocking out enough?
- The staff handbook says holiday entitlement is 5.6 weeks a year starting in September. Does anyone know if this is for weekday staff or weekend staff or both? My allowance as I only started half way through the year until September is 4.5 days. I'm worried this won't be enough as I'm going to need 3 Saturday's and 2 Sunday's off in August for my summer holiday which is already booked. But I'll probably need other days off for university open days? Do you think they'll understand?
- I know weekend staff have to work bank holidays which I'm fine with, this Monday is a bank holiday and it's Saturday, do you think I'm going to have to be working this Monday? I haven't been told anything regarding a shift?

Thank you for your time x
Reply 1
Original post by ciaralucy
I recently got a part time retail assistant job at Primark. I'm contracted to work weekends, 4 hours each day. My first day is tomorrow and I have a few questions, any help will be much appreciated :smile:

- I have my induction and I was told to report to HR on my first day but I'm really nervous that it's going to be awkard and I won't know what to do? When my shift is over (2:30-6:30 on Saturday and 1-5 Sunday) do I just leave and clock out or do I have to tell someone or is clocking out enough?
- The staff handbook says holiday entitlement is 5.6 weeks a year starting in September. Does anyone know if this is for weekday staff or weekend staff or both? My allowance as I only started half way through the year until September is 4.5 days. I'm worried this won't be enough as I'm going to need 3 Saturday's and 2 Sunday's off in August for my summer holiday which is already booked. But I'll probably need other days off for university open days? Do you think they'll understand?
- I know weekend staff have to work bank holidays which I'm fine with, this Monday is a bank holiday and it's Saturday, do you think I'm going to have to be working this Monday? I haven't been told anything regarding a shift?

Thank you for your time x

And I'm 17 and this is my first ever job so I'm really nervous

Also does anyone know how easy it will be for me to change my shifts at the end of August? I'm fine for the next 3 months during my prohibitory period but would want to switch my Saturday shift (currently 230-630) to either say a 8-12, 9-1 or 10-2 shift for when I start year 13 and my final year of A levels? Or to 8 hours on a Sunday instead? I mentioned changing my Saturday shift to a morning on the phone when they offered me the job but said someone just took a vacancy
Hi I recently got a job at Primark so I can help you a bit =)

My induction a few weeks ago was sat in a room signing paperwork and forms. We had a tour of the shop as well. You're also taught how to clock on and off. When it gets to 6:30/5 you find your supervisor and just let them know that you're leaving. Don't just vanish, they might have a quick job for you first (They won't keep you long but they might ask you to fold some shirts or something before you go). If you're on tills get the Till supervisor to check your till and then you can sign off.

That's for weekday staff, weekenders get less I think. As you already have prebooked holidays they have to honour that. However with the Open Days as they're not prebooked they'll understand and they'll let you have it off but if you've gone over your allowance (which it sounds like you will) you just won't be paid for it.

Be prepared to be Monday and then if you're off consider it a bonus. I would imagine since tomorrow is your first day you are highly likely to be working it. Also just a note weekend staff HAVE to work Boxing day so just consider that if you're a student travelling home for Christmas or anything xx
Reply 3
Hi,

I applied for a Job a month ago and I still haven't had a reply! on my account it says it 'application under review'. It been forever! Has anyone else applied and they have taken ages to get back to you?

Thanks
Original post by CJayeN
Hi,

I applied for a Job a month ago and I still haven't had a reply! on my account it says it 'application under review'. It been forever! Has anyone else applied and they have taken ages to get back to you?

Thanks

Going back through old emails... I applied 15/02/16 and got a call for an interview on 18/03/16... Then I got the call to tell me I had the job on 17/04/16 so yeah... t
It's my first day tomorrow and I know how to clock in/off and what floor I've been allocated too but...I don't know what to do when I get there! Do I just find a supervisor and ask them what theyd like me to be doing???
Original post by FrancisSin
It's my first day tomorrow and I know how to clock in/off and what floor I've been allocated too but...I don't know what to do when I get there! Do I just find a supervisor and ask them what theyd like me to be doing???

Clock in at the normal time and go to the tills, they'll be someone there with a register and they'll tell you
Reply 7
I'm 17 and I work in primark. Usually when we book time off the managers like if you give around 4 weeks notice at least, so when booking time off for my family summer holiday to Portugal I gave 6 weeks notice. I only work weekends so asked for 2 weekends off as I'm going for 2 weeks, however I've been told I can only have the 2nd weekend off as the 1st is fully booked. The problem is that I cannot physically come into work for the 1st weekend as I won't be in the country. My family holiday was booked early in the year and I didn't start working at primark until the end of April. I don't really want to talk to the manger again because she'll will just say I have to come in and that she cannot approve the weekend off. I'm not really sure what to do about it, any help will be much appreciated.
Original post by ciaralucy
I'm 17 and I work in primark. Usually when we book time off the managers like if you give around 4 weeks notice at least, so when booking time off for my family summer holiday to Portugal I gave 6 weeks notice. I only work weekends so asked for 2 weekends off as I'm going for 2 weeks, however I've been told I can only have the 2nd weekend off as the 1st is fully booked. The problem is that I cannot physically come into work for the 1st weekend as I won't be in the country. My family holiday was booked early in the year and I didn't start working at primark until the end of April. I don't really want to talk to the manger again because she'll will just say I have to come in and that she cannot approve the weekend off. I'm not really sure what to do about it, any help will be much appreciated.

At this point theres not alot you can do unless you offer to take it unpaid... At my store I needed some time off but it was fully booked but my manager let me take it as long as it was unpaid, it's fine for me i'll just do the overtime to cover it =S but yeah try that
Reply 9
Do you think I'll be allowed to have the 1st weekend off if I offer to have it unpaid and make up the shifts I'd miss by doing extra hours, even though it's fully booked already?
my thing says application under review? is that good?
Reply 11
Does anyone know if Primark allow you to request time off around christmas time, like chirstmas eve?
If u are put on a extra shift in Primark for more money what happens?? I have an extra shift tonight 3pm till 8pm and I wanna know what this intels if anyone knows what I will be doing?? Also, do u need to go to the manager / supervisor to ask what to do or do you just go in and start at the shop floor and wait for someone to come to you? Also, does anyone know when there rotas are generally put up, and how many hrs do u need to work before I get a break?? Ive only just started so if anyone can give me any advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending