The Student Room Group

Looking to go back and finish what I started! Help and advice greatly appreciated :)

Apologies if this has been covered somewhere before but I have spent a good while searching and not found anything as yet- there is a bit of a preamble to my questions so let me first explain my situation.

I attended (loosely used term) Cardiff university several years ago to do a BSC in Banking and Finance. At the age of 18/19/20 I felt like a kid on an extended 18-30s holiday and lived life as such (which was fun but did not do my studies any favours).

After poor attendance and average results from my second year (2:2@ 58%), some personal and financial issues, I decided to stop going to university altogether in the Jan of third year in favour of a winter in the Alps followed by a summer working in Ibiza which later ended up in me returning to the uk and getting a job in a bar.

Fast forward 3 years and I am now in a fairly responsible position in a bar earning a salary most fresh grads would happily take, with a stable personal, and more importantly, social life (how many bar managers do you know who are tee-total)?!?

After lengthy discussion with my line manager, he has given his blessing to fit my current work around studies, so it is not one or the other.

Financing this should not be a problem, due to only having being funded for 3 years (I believe after reading the small print of SF I'd still be eligible for a fourth year, even if it is at £9k) but I could beg/borrow/steal the figure if needed.

My question is this, has anyone got any experience in returning to the same institution to complete a degree or would you get laughed out of town (seeing as I didn't formally withdraw)?

The field of my degree is something that I have kept abreast with since leaving uni, and my current role includes several of the financial components that I covered during my first year- and I could provide a fairly compelling argument if I ever got to the stage where I could sit down with the course director but I'm fairly certain that my email will be in the trash folder before it is read to its end.

So is what I'm asking pie in the sky stuff, or do you lovely people think I have a fighting chance of getting back to finish what I started?

Thank you in advance for sharing your wisdom!
Original post by Bar-steward
Apologies if this has been covered somewhere before but I have spent a good while searching and not found anything as yet- there is a bit of a preamble to my questions so let me first explain my situation.

I attended (loosely used term) Cardiff university several years ago to do a BSC in Banking and Finance. At the age of 18/19/20 I felt like a kid on an extended 18-30s holiday and lived life as such (which was fun but did not do my studies any favours).

After poor attendance and average results from my second year (2:2@ 58%), some personal and financial issues, I decided to stop going to university altogether in the Jan of third year in favour of a winter in the Alps followed by a summer working in Ibiza which later ended up in me returning to the uk and getting a job in a bar.

Fast forward 3 years and I am now in a fairly responsible position in a bar earning a salary most fresh grads would happily take, with a stable personal, and more importantly, social life (how many bar managers do you know who are tee-total)?!?

After lengthy discussion with my line manager, he has given his blessing to fit my current work around studies, so it is not one or the other.

Financing this should not be a problem, due to only having being funded for 3 years (I believe after reading the small print of SF I'd still be eligible for a fourth year, even if it is at £9k) but I could beg/borrow/steal the figure if needed.

My question is this, has anyone got any experience in returning to the same institution to complete a degree or would you get laughed out of town (seeing as I didn't formally withdraw)?

The field of my degree is something that I have kept abreast with since leaving uni, and my current role includes several of the financial components that I covered during my first year- and I could provide a fairly compelling argument if I ever got to the stage where I could sit down with the course director but I'm fairly certain that my email will be in the trash folder before it is read to its end.

So is what I'm asking pie in the sky stuff, or do you lovely people think I have a fighting chance of getting back to finish what I started?

Thank you in advance for sharing your wisdom!

This is something you'd need to contact admissions about- none of us on here can speculate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending